Downloading Apple Hardware Test

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by aliendays, Aug 23, 2014.

1. aliendays macrumors newbie

I've a secong hand white macbook, the model is 4,1 early 2008. My Wi-Fi keeps disconecting and it says there's no hardware installed, I need to restart for it to get back to normal. I think there's maybe something wrong with the airport card so I'd like to run an AHT, the thing is I don't have the original disks so I found a supposed AHT on the internet but I don't know how to install it. There's a .dmg file but when I restart and press D nothing happens.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You need to copy the contents of that DMG into your /System/Library/CoreServices folder. See this article.

3. aliendays thread starter macrumors newbie

The content of the .dmg is a System File and a Read Me, I pasted both on the /System/Library/CoreServices folder but I still can't get the AHT when I restart. On the .dmg the CoreServices file is empty.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Looks like the copied system has to be renamed .diagnostics, or some such...
    But, I'm not sure about that…

Here's an alternative that you can use. I just tried it, I have the same 2008 MacBook, so I am sure that it works.
    Mount that AHT .dmg, then launch Disk Utility, and Restore that mounted volume (on that image, the volume is named "AHTBTwo") to a convenient USB flash drive. The volume needs very little space, only about 35 MB.
    When you want to run the AHT, insert your flash drive, restart holding the D key. Worked for me the first time.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think you will need to copy that over with the sudo cp command mentioned in the linked article to get it to work. Or Delta's method looks even easier.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yes, my opinion is that putting the AHT on some external device (like a flash drive) means that you don't need to worry about losing the AHT if your hard drive fails. I THINK that your MacBook 2008 is old enough that the internal hard drive link might not work, when it does work on newer hardware (not sure, just a theory...)

7. aliendays thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, it worked perfectly! The weird thing is that it says everything is fine but I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with the wi-fi card.

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If you still get disconnects, and the report that there's no airport hardware found - the AHT is not very comprehensive on testing what is essentially an added accessory.
    I would suggest that you try reseating the airport card (you have to take off the top cover/keyboard to get to that.)
    As with a lot of Mac troubleshooting, have you tried both a PRAM and SMC reset?
    Finally, and likely a better fix, if the card sometimes disappears in the hardware (no hardware found), then you should try swapping in a different card.

9. aliendays, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014

aliendays thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I've tried PRAM and SMC, at first I thought they solved the problem but a few hours later the internet kept disconnecting. I think I'll buy another card but I think the Bluetooth is still ok. Does anyone know where can I find it online?

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Bluetooth and wifi are different cards, several inches apart inside your MacBook.
    It's very possible that one card could fail, yet the other is still fine….
    If you want to try to find a replacement Airport extreme card, you can use Apple's part number to search: 661-4460

Here's one example!
    http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Mac-Airport-Card-p-17152.html

11. aliendays thread starter macrumors newbie

Where do I see my Apple part number?

12. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You would see that part number in a parts listing for your MacBook.

That part number (661-4460) is for your airport card. You won't find that part number printed on the actual part itself. It's in service documentation, like Apple's service manual for your MacBook.

You can search for your own MacBook service manual, and usually can find it.
    Here's one source (it's the mb13_late07.pdf for your early 2008 MacBook.)
    http://tim.id.au/laptops/apple/macbook/