Downloading Apps in iTunes or Appstore via iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trevorplease, Aug 31, 2010.

1. trevorplease macrumors regular

I have a question, is there any difference between downloading apps in iTunes or the appstore via iphone? I noticed that the .ipa files have different names.

Downloading from iTunes: gives you the version number at the end of the application name.

Downloading from iPhone: doesn't give you the version number

Is there any differences from this? Why does apple do it?

I noticed this after having to restore and redownload all my apps at the request of the genius bar saying my battery life is ****** because of corrupt apps.

On a side note: Does it matter if I do other things while downloading an app on my iphone?

2. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

sometimes my apps seem to crash less when I install them via my PC rather then straight from the phone itself.

Not sure why....for instance I purchased the app Splice through my phone, when uploading videos the app would always crash every time. I deleted it, reinstalled from my PC and everything works good now.

3. trevorplease thread starter macrumors regular

I just didn't know app crashes were related to lower battery life

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

90% of my apps were all downloaded directly from my iPhone. the only time I download an app from iTunes (desktop) is if I'm on a site that recommends an app and I don't have my phone with me (near me).

the only time downloading an App has crashed was back with iOS 2.0, very bugging OS, after 2.1 and on I haven't had a single issue.

5. jamied95 macrumors 6502

No do anything ya want, it just might take longer if your sucking down a huge video on a slow connection etc :rolleyes:

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yeah, do what you want on you phone, but I usually reboot the phone after downloading an app OTA.