Downloading apps

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Tech198, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Mar 21, 2011
    Australia, Perth
    Hi all.

When you attempt to download apps u see the app appearing with a circular progress indicator over the icon to indicate such action ...

How accurate is this progress? since i've has instances where i have been downloading 4 or 5 large apps, over my slow connection, and i see the progress fly, which is impossible.

When it stops, sometimes the user gets a error "unable to download <app name>"

When you tap "Retry" the app starts downloading again from scratch, and the progress starts again..

Is this method just fundamentally flawed? since i can see you could have allot of incomplete stuff if u were trying to "resume". however on the other have the user just wasted 200MB of download of their bandwidth, relying of a progress indicator that is always questionable "will this app download??"

I guess this is no difference than on a mac, but at least on mac the progress indicator is allot more accurate.

Why is this not possible on iOS?
  2. soundklinik macrumors member

Oct 22, 2014
    I don't worry about the accuracy of the progress, I try not to interrupt the download and usually stay near my router and I do one app at a time and wait until it says 'open'.

I seem to have the same problem with WI-FI over slow connection.

Sometimes it takes a few minutes, but most of my apps are music based and are not too big for DL.