Downloading BBC News Video

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by drtimjones, Sep 9, 2009.

1. drtimjones macrumors newbie

Hi - Does anyone know of an app or online service that will allow me to download BBC News content to my Mac? I'm not overly fussed about the format it downloads it in as I can use QT Pro to convert to a more suitable format.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

3. koeningsplein macrumors newbie

BBC iPlayer

There's a desktop application provided by the BBC which will let you download the TV programs on your computer. It keeps it on your computer for 7 days and then it will erase it automatically. The application provided by the BBC is the only one which will let you view downloaded content. You could however use a screen recording program like SnapzPro X to record the content while you are watching the program. Then you could convert the SnapzPro X output with QT Pro to whatever format you want.

4. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Not for news programmes. There's no legal way to download these.

Phazer

5. dknightd macrumors 6502

6. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

officially yes...

using a proxy server, it works well anywhere in the world :)

7. ozaz, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

ozaz macrumors 65816

I think there is now a subscription-based global iplayer app for iOS. Not for Mac, but perhaps that will eventually come.

8. salacious macrumors 6502a

its actually not illegal to download bbc programmes, aslong as you dont try to sell it on or reproduce it in any way, there was a dispute some time ago about this i cant remember the name of the case but as a TV Licence owner you have all rights to bbc programmes, because dont forget you can actually record onto dvd from freeview boxes, and to harddrives and stuff..

so its legal remember that and live conscience free