Downloading cartoon hd app from WEB?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Wbutchart, May 6, 2014.

1. Wbutchart macrumors regular

Hi all, I wanted to try and get cartoon hd, went to the website (first when searching from google). On the website it has an install on ios link, which I clicked then pressed ok, it then downloaded without ANY interaction with App Store. I now have an app that downloaded without the use of the App Store.

I'm bewildered a bit first because I didn't think this was even possible and secondly could it have a virus? Will it still be sandboxed or could it avoid permissions and be logging every bank detail and other information?

Any advice about the above would be helpful.

Thanks.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Did you get a profile/certificate that you had to accept or you perhaps already had installed?

3. Wbutchart thread starter macrumors regular

Nope just a do you want to install on ios home screen then the app downloaded. All without App Store, app is not on the App Store.

4. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

It's probably just a web app.
    I love them and have made a bunch of them. They are quite useful.

5. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

It's either a web app or a developer app, if it's a developer app go to General in Settings and check if there is an option called Profiles.

6. Strang0r macrumors member

Strang0r

I believe they have an enterprise dev account which allows them to distribute proprietary, in-house iOS apps to their "employees".

7. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

Just updated my copy I originally got off iTunes (as they don't support it anymore). What you get when it installs is a profile (InHouse). You'll find it listed under Settings>General

Just a FYI

8. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

You have a certificate.. Go in settings >> general>>> scroll down >> u will see a new settings called "profile">>u will have a profile installed

9. wicketwocket macrumors newbie

So is it safe to use? It still seems to work after the profile has been removed?

10. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Yes it is. I use it a ton.

11. wicketwocket macrumors newbie

Is that from use or have you looked at code?

12. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

From use. I use it all the time and have had no problems and don't count on having any.

13. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

I know Pebble got nailed for bypassing the App Store like this.

14. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

There are several apps that you can install directly through Safari, such as Cartoon HD and GBA4iOS. They are signed with Apple enterprise certificates, but they shouldn't be able to break out of the sandbox or run potentially malicious "unsigned code" unless you've jailbroken your iPhone.

15. bearsloft macrumors newbie

Thanks for reporting on this. My 10 year old daughter just brought me her iPad Mini and proudly showed me that she had just installed an app to watch movies free. She does not have the password to access iTunes so I was concerned and alarmed.

Still Am actually.

This just shouldn't be possible. I thought all apps had to come from the app store. For some the app store is an annoying constraint. For me it's a mild comfort. Theoretically there is less chance of a virus or trojan since all apps have been vetted and approved by apple (yes I know mistakes happen, nothing is for certain) and my daughter has to bring my her iPad and 'ask me' to install an app. This gives me a chance to verify if this is appropriate.

Clearly I'm going to have to keep an eye on this. I'm more concerned by what other apps can be installed just by clicking on a text from a friend. This sounds like the beginnings of the next mail bomb virus.

Bear