Downloading causes stalling of PB G4

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GoCubsGo, Mar 12, 2008.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have a PB G4 Rev D (1.67, 2gb ram, 128 vid) that is just over 3 years old.
    I have the latest release of Tiger running on it. Just prior to updating I noticed that while downloading from iTunes or the internet whether the file is 1gb or 60 gb my computer lags. The download doesn't but I can't really use the mouse as it just stalls. When I can get it to move I click on something else (another window) and it takes a few moments to register.

I updated to the latest release of Tiger in hopes that fixed everything, no dice. I hooked my computer directly to the internet, no dice. Finally I checked to see that everything was working (hard drives (verify/repair, hardware, software, ram slots) and everything seems to be in order.

This being a new development I'm lost. I am about 12 days out of Apple Care and would like this machine to last about another 3 months until I get back from my East coast trip.

Does anyone know what could cause this or what else can be done to perhaps fix the issue?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Use Activity Monitor to see what is hogging most of your CPU. I get something similar on my PBG4 667 when using LimeWire. I can still use the computer, but most things connected to USB lag.

How much RAM do you have??

TEG

3. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

2 gb and I used Activity Monitor and nothing shows up that would make me think it was "hogging". I don't use LimeWire.

I also wonder if this is such an intricate problem that no one really has an answer. :( I just need like 3 more months of the PB!

4. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I have found that network lag can cause the machine to slow down and appear unresponsive. Yes, it' not supposed to, but it does.

I'm assuming that the machine is fine unless downloading?

I know you've recently changed Internet providers? Is there anything there that is different?

Is the problem just when you're downloading? Or is it an issue with just browsing the Internet too? I'd almost suggest a DNS lookup problem, but once you're downloading, the DNS has been established so that's probably not the culprit.

Are you connected wirelessly?