Downloading .doc files

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by westwood, Mar 23, 2011.

1. westwood macrumors newbie

Hey I've been searching for awhile but haven't found an answer yet: is it possible to open a link to a .doc file from the Internet and open it with a word processing app on the iPad?

I believe pages does this, but I was wondering if that's for certain and if any other word processing apps, like quickoffice, do it as well. This is for school use: I want to download a word document and edit it on my iPad, then save it to my dropbox account. I don't want to spend all the money on an app just to experiment to see if it will work the way I need it to. Thanks for the help!

2. DNAppleGold macrumors regular

You can. But I wouldn't recommend Pages if you use Dropox (as I do) because pages won't directly import from or save to Dropox. Quickoffice will do the trick.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you are using Pages, register at DropDav. You can then import and save directly to Dropbox.

4. westwood thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

So just to be clear, I can open a word document (.doc, .docx) linked in safari, the word doc will then open in safari, then I can reopen the word doc in openoffice?

What's your opinion with openoffice? Does it work well? I've watched some YouTube reviews but it's so hard to tell what it's actually like using to compose documents.

Thanks for your help!

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not exactly. What happens is you click on the link in Safari, then you'll get an "Open In..." button. When you click on that button, you get a list of apps that can handle that file tye. But you won't be able to view the document in Safari.

6. DNAppleGold macrumors regular

That's right. When you click on the link, safari will open in a new page. You then have the choice to "open in" an app, such as pages, quickoffice, goodreader. One caveat is that I sometimes find that Safari is a little inconsistent e.g. sometimes it will open the doc in a window and not give you the options I just articulated. Although I haven't had a problem with the recent IOS. However, I use Atomic browser because I can download a document to a folder the old fasion "desktop way." That being said, I usually save any docs into dropbox and open from there. That way I have the doc regardless of what devise I'm using.

I'm pretty new to quickoffice, so others may have more detail. I'd say it's pretty smooth for light editing and formatting. Fancy stuff will need to wait until you're on a full computer.

7. DNAppleGold macrumors regular

I didn't know that. Great tip!
    For me, quickoffice is still a better value than Iwork b/c I don't use the fancy stuff that comes with those programs. But still a great tip.

8. westwood thread starter macrumors newbie

oops, i keep typing in openoffice...i meant quickoffice!

thanks for all the help! I wish Apple had a "demo app" function sometimes (a lot of times)