Downloading e books and reading them off line

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by gary c, Nov 9, 2011.

1. gary c macrumors member

I got my air 11 a few days ago. Now I am trying to figure out how to download fee ebooks to my computer and read them off line. I downloaded one from amazon but I have to be online to read that book. i know some of you smart people have done this. I have been searching the forum but so far I am lost.
    Please help.

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Grab Calibre. Superb e-book manager and reader. Even lets you convert between ebook formats and download publication info from different databases like amazon or open library.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

3. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

Haven't tried this but it looks quite old... BookReader on the AppStore is really good! It supports ePubs and it feels and looks like the iBooks for iPad. It's good, haven't tried it with any other formats. Some people have had issues with it but i haven't luckily :)

alternatively theres this from Adobe: http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/ but i wasn't really a fan....

4. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

calibre is regularly updated. It just had an update within the last week. The UI is not the BEST but it def. does what it needs to do and is awesome.

5. gary c thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I will go there and do that soon. I know there are a lot of free books that I might enjoy reading also. I will have to do some checking on that.
    Thanks again. It is very nice to have a forum that I can go to to get answers. I am just smart enough with computers to be dangerous. That is why I love the Mac's so much. A older guy like me can operate Mac with ease without getting into too much trouble.. :D