Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
This might be a strange question but is there any technical way to directly download a file (such as an mp3 or video file) directly from the Internet to a CD or DVD without it being first copied to ones hard drive? I know the fact it has to be burned might negate this, but didnt know of you could somehow set it up to download and burn simultaneouly.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Given the size of CDs and DVDs and the ease of creating them, the work effort of burning CD/DVDs is such that its easier just to do that then try to spend a lot of time to burn a download.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
There's a specific legal reason I'm asking this question. I know it's easier to simply download to hard drive and burn, but there's a copyright issue I'm researching that relates to whether you can directly download onto a CD.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You best be discussing the legal ramifications with a lawyer then. I don't think an internet forum is the best place to get advice on legal stuff.

I don't think any software supports such an action either so it could be a moot point, i.e., technically not possible.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I'm not asking for legal advice, just whether its technically possible. I'll interpret the legal ramifications from that information.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
As I mentioned, I do not think there is any way to do this with the current set of software but yet I haven't tried it.

My advice is to mount a blank CD and then see if you can download a song or movie straight to it.

Third party software like toast may have this ability but I believe they have trial versions so download the trial and try it as well.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
The downloaded file will always be (partly) on the HD, Burners need cache, without it it won't work.

Example, lets say the file is 10 MB, and you are on an extremely fast internet connection so that the file is downloaded in a fraction of a second, the writer will not be able to write as fast as the file is downloaded.

I say, forget it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.