Downloading files to specific destinations depending on type

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Alain12345, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Alain12345 macrumors newbie

Hi, I was wondering if I have the ability to set my download preferences for my Mac (I'm running Snow Leopard -- just installed it yesterday!) to send certain file types to specific destinations. For example, I want to set up several folders so that when I download a .gif or .jpeg file, it will go into my "Pictures" folder. Also, as I download .pdf files religiously for my academic pursuits (which just so happens to be in the field of religion...), I'd like to make a specific "Articles" folder to have all .pdf files download into it. I hope this makes sense. Thanks for the help!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You can't do this directly, but you could set up a folder action on the downloads folder.

3. Alain12345 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay... I tried doing that, but I'm not so sure what script I'm supposed to attach... would you mind guiding me through it? I can't seem to find any instructions anywhere on the internet. Thanks again!

4. waffles123 macrumors regular

I think Hazel is exactly what you are looking for. For example, if you download images, you can put it in whatever folder you want. Same with any other type of file. Plus, it does a lot more. (However, it does cost money)