Downloading from MacUpdate to Desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mackymac, Nov 16, 2008.

1. mackymac macrumors newbie

I can't get the mAC3Dec file off MacUpdate to my desktop.
    It puts a folder into the downloads list, however I can't seem
    to do anything with it. :confused:

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Works for me.

The download is a .sit.hqx file, which expands to a .sit file. Stuffit expands this to a folder containing the file and a readme

3. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Work it from your desktop rather than from the downloads window.

Did you get the encoding (Western Latin 1) request after you'd double-clicked the .sit.hqx file on your desktop?

Thereafter, as Blodwyn says, a standard folder that has the name mAC3dec 1.6.3 ƒ should appear on the desktop.

4. mackymac thread starter macrumors newbie

I have now dragged the mAC3dec 1-1.6.3 f.sit , from the downloads folder to my desktop. When I double click on it, it does open up a Stuffit, Latin type screen, however not putting the, mAC3dec 1.6.3 ƒ onto the desktop??
    Hope you can help with this.
    I want to use this with the audio files I ripped off a Music DVD with mac the Ripper, to put them into my I tunes Music inventory.

5. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Okay, let me be absolutely clear on this, so bear with me while I go through it step-by-step.
    1. You downloaded a file called mac3dec1.6.3.sit.hqx [note that double file suffix],
    2. You dragged it from Downloads to the desktop,
    3. You 2x-clicked the mac3dec1.6.3.sit.hqx.
    If yes to all the above, then
    4. 2x-clicking should have made another blue folder with a little blue symbol on it (I can't replicate it here). Inside that folder should be the application 'mAC3dec' plus a Read Me.rtf file.
    That's it!

Now if the answer to any of the 3 steps listed above is 'no', then we need to consider why the download is not right OR why Stuffit Expander is not doing what it should.

mAC3dec is a relatively old application. I take it the audio files that came from the dvd are in AIFF or AC3 format, and you wish to convert them to .mp3 for iTunes. There are other - and I think better - audio file converters. Switch is one, SoundConverter is another. Perhaps you'd care to try them if you can't get mAC3dec to work for you. Keep us posted.

6. mackymac thread starter macrumors newbie

No: The file I have is, mAC3dec 1-1.6.3 ƒ.sit

7. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

I have an idea that an earlier version of Stuffit Expander may open that file for you. Sometimes I use my OS 9 version.

I don't know why the .hqx part is missing, but it suggests to me that the file may be corrupted. How many times have you tried to download it?

You might want to try a different download site eg. http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14479

8. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Hey, the thought just occurred to me (I'm not slow :eek:) that I'll happily send you the .sit.hqx file if you'll provide an email address which will allow attachments. It's only 412 Kb.