Downloading from the AppStore over Edge/Cell Network?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gjosho, Mar 11, 2008.

1. gjosho macrumors newbie

I was just watching the March 6th SDK Roadmap event (again) and something Steve said kind of got me thinking...

He said come June we'll be able to download and install apps directly over wi-fi AND the Cell network?

Question: Is Edge really quick and stable enough to allow us to download and install apps directly onto iPhone, or was he really saying that another 'faster' kind of iPhone might be available come June? Like say, a 3G one? ;)

I don't know what kind of file size would be sort of average for a full App, but I do know that Edge really struggles at times just to get a full graphics-rich page downloaded.

What do you Devs think?

2. AGSHender macrumors regular

AGSHender

Absolutely it's fast enough and stable enough. I'm certain the vast majority of apps won't be huge in size, though I'm sure Spore, Epocrates, etc. will be significantly large just due to the required amount of data. Single-use apps will likely be very small.

Even if Apple did introduce a 3G iPhone in June (and my personal opinion is they won't), alienating the millions who have already purchased the iPhone for use on EDGE would be downright insane.

3. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

NO WAY -- listen to the SDK Annoucement, the AppStore will be just like the Wi-Fi iTunes store. You will need a Wi-Fi connection.

Do you really think that At&t would allow this type of activity over an already slow network? Not a chance...

4. AGSHender macrumors regular

AGSHender

Well...but Steve did say "wifi or cellular" when describing the app store. Sounds like they're going to allow it to me.

5. gjosho thread starter macrumors newbie

This is very true, from the horses mouth so to speak...

Just looked again, and at 01:05:12 of the Apple March 6th Event video Steve definately says we're gonna be able to download using the AppStore over the Cell network.

You're point on alienating current Edge iPhone users if downloading apps over the Cell Network turns out to be a 3G only option is a very good one!

Here's hoping you're right and edge will be fast enough :)

6. AGSHender macrumors regular

AGSHender

I have a feeling that most applications will be very small. Someone who's been using the SDK to develop test apps could give a basic estimate, but I'm just going on my experience with mobile apps on other platforms.

7. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I used to download apps onto my Treo over EDGE. It's not quick but it's not horrifically painful either. My guess is that they will d/l in the background once you initiate it, much like your email does.

8. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

AppStore is not any different than the Installer App in practice.
    I've never had any problems downloading apps over EDGE.
    And yes... Steve did say it will work over both WiFi and cell (EDGE).

9. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Think about it. Let's just assume that EDGE downloads at 50 kbps.
    If an app is 1 MB, that's only about 21 seconds of downloading. It will definitely be possible.

10. gjosho thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool!

Thanks for replying everyone.

Looks like a done deal to me :D

11. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

Mate, have you ever used Installer.app on your iPhone?

- It works perfectly fine over the cell network.

;)