Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobtheclown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2003
Help! I have a mac laptop. I am trying to download a quicktime file from webpage. When I choose this download I am presented with a new small browser window with 3 options as to what size file I want. I then click on one option and then a quicktime icon appears in the middle of the window, and nothing else seems to happen. When I try this on my PC, after I select the option I want, a download dialog window opens, and then I can save the file fine. What is going wrong for my mac? Do I have some kind of association issue on my mac? I am highly PC literate but kinda confused with macs. Is there something I should re-install?

Mac is 64Mb powerbook G3, IE5, quicktime installed, kinda hangs a lot, 1Gb free disk space,

thanks for the help in advance....

Bob

bobtheclown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2003
urm.....well cards on the table it's an adult one, and I'm looking this up for someone else. So you can't have a look - sorry! |THe small window that spawns runs a .php. Any ideas?

cheers

Bob

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Um, ok, guess I won't be looking:) I'm able to download quicktime files fine. Find a more appropriate file that's giving you the same problem and I'll analyze it for you.:D

bobtheclown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2003
thanks bubs. I will go looking for another example. Trouble is I need to get to this guys mac, but as soon as I do I will.

thanks for your help dude

Bob

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
First off, it sounds like the Mac browser is trying to play the file within the browser and might not have the right codecs (I'm going to assume it's a DivX AVI. Call me crazy. ;) )

You might want to see if other browsers will dl it.

If all else fails, why not dl it on the PC and then give it to them on CD or something?

bobtheclown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2003
The file in question is a quicktime .mov. The browser streams quicktime video fine. It seems the browser is misinterpretting the download call it's being sent and is trying to play it, like you say. It never succeeds by the way. The browser downloads other download links fine e.g. the usual click here to download now button. Perhaps another install of IE might help?

thanks again for the input - I'm flying blind here.

By the way I offered to download and bring him on CD, but he wasn't interested. Also told him if he had a PC I could revolutionise his world but he wasn't having any part of that either.

peace out

Bob

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Unless you get the paid version of QT you can't dl a stream. You can, however, still dl a .mov meant for downloading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.