Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2018
I don't have GB in my App Store download history. How can I obtain a copy on my MP5,1 running Mojave?

Only workaround I can think of is to boot into Big Sur via OpenCore and download it there. That way it should show up in App Store history. That said, I'd like to avoid going that route if at all possible.

As with older Mac operating systems, I wish Apple would give the option of downloading previous versions of its other programs, or at least, provide a separate repository.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
There's no download for someone in the catch-22 predicament you're in. I assume you're correct that if you download the new version via Big Sur that you'll be able to get the old version in Mojave. You could perhaps get a trusted someone on Big Sur to log into the App Store under your credentials and make the "purchase".

The only other sources are at best semi-nefarious.

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2018
That's what I figured and your use of the phrase "catch-22" is particularly apt.

I don't know why Apple has to make this so difficult (actually I do but that's best discussed elsewhere). The problem with that model though is it usually ends up backfiring. Those who cannot or will not spend $$$ to buy the latest and greatest Apple hardware just to run Apple-branded applications are going to find 3rd party alternatives.

Anyway, I have 11.2 on an external drive that I can boot into with my MP5,1 via OpenCore. It's a clean install used primarily for testing, but I suppose I can use it just for this purpose.

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2018
Booted into 11.2 and was able to download GB. Actually, I didn't download it entirely; just cancelled it as soon as it started which was enough to get it to show in my account history. Booted back into Mojave, I was then given the choice to download an older version.

Bit of a hassle just to get an older version of GB, and likely downright impossible for those that have an older Mac and don't want to fiddle around with OpenCore.

innovaTutor

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2021
Switzerland
You can have both! ;-)

0) open App Store and find your App. Then check what macOS Version is required for the actual version provided by Apple
1) boot into that macOS and open App Store
2) buy/download the App (on that supported system)
2b) you may delete the App later (to free up space)
3) boot into your target macOS where you want to use besaid App (from Apple)
4) Open App Store and head over to your Account /purchase history section.
5) tap the download (from Cloud) icon
6) you will be presented with a window telling you that the newest Version requires macOS *newerVersion*
but You can download an older Version of the App that is compatible with your (booted) macOS.

This workaround is awesome as Apple (but only very few talented Developers know how to do it) keeps older App Versions on the Mac Platform ready to be re-downloaded on your Legacy System. Even when you just purchased a new  App.

sidenote:
I plan to do this "Legacy purchase" workaround with  Motion to run it on High Sierra once my cMP5,1 runs smoothly on that new SSD 970 PRO NVMe M.2

innovaTutor

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2021
Switzerland
Booted into 11.2 and was able to download GB. Actually, I didn't download it entirely; just cancelled it as soon as it started which was enough to get it to show in my account history. Booted back into Mojave, I was then given the choice to download an older version.

@amstel78
Sorry, I did not see your own solution post. I just started using tapatalk which is quite different than the MacRumors Website itself. (not so convinced about its feature set)

Your workaround (of stoping the download) is the Pro version of my guide.

———————
btw, did you boot macOS 11.2 via OC Default or via OC Alt when you downloaded GB? (I asume you are using the RFP/OC Chainload)

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2018
btw, did you boot macOS 11.2 via OC Default or via OC Alt when you downloaded GB? (I asume you are using the RFP/OC Chainload)
Back when I did this, I was still on 11.2 using OC v0.6.6. I only used 'OC default' to log into BS after installation. Actually, I've only ever had to use the 'OC alternate' for BS updates, which is what I did when updating from 11.2 to 11.2.2. I'm interested to see how virtualization in v0.6.7 negates the need for the VMM flag. It was supposed to work in v0.6.6 but never did for me. I still had to use OC alternate with VMM enabled to successfully update.

Once 11.3 is released to the general populace, I will try updating while only using v0.6.7's OC default setup. And yes, I'm using RP/OC.

Reactions: innovaTutor

Rahul_Does

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2023
Mohave user here. 2 days in my "NEW" MacBook 2013, my first ever, and I was heartbroken about GarageBand not being there for a lowly insect like I!
Used my rich brother's latest MacBook and VOILA! I "restored" ;-) my GarageBand, Excel, Word and whatnot.

THANKS A GAZILLION Tonnes, to you all!

Also, a happy new year to everyone and their loved and hated ones, too.

Ra!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.