Downloading gives .part files

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jellis999, Feb 9, 2015.

1. jellis999 macrumors newbie

Hi - I'm having difficulty solving this one - any help greatly appreciated.

When I try to download a file, it appears on my desktop as a string of characters for the file name followed by .pdf.part
    For example agkdi86ygh.pdf.part

This has only just started happening and I suspect that perhaps my recent update of Adobe reader to 9.3.3 is the culprit, I still cant resolve the problem.

OS 10.4.11 PPC Quicksilver

Many Thanks

2. bse5150 macrumors 6502

bse5150

That's normal and nothing to worry about. It should go away when the file downloads.

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

As said, that's normal and an indication that the file hasn't fully downloaded.

4. jellis999 thread starter macrumors newbie

.part files

Hi - thanks for the replies - but the problem is that they have finished downloading...nothing in progress..they just appear instantly when I click a download link and then nothing happens.
    Very strange and frustrating!

I think its started happening since I messed about updating acrobat reader and flash player...maybe??

Any clues more than welcome!

Thanx

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Both replies were correct.

.part indicates a (part)ially downloaded file. If your file is not downloading then that is an issue with your network or the site you are downloading from.

Updating your Adobe apps has nothing to do with network or website issues.

Incidentally the last update for the PowerPC version of Flash was well over five years ago. So, if you've only recently updated Flash then you must have been using a very old version.

Development for the PowerPC version of Flash stopped when Adobe bought Macromedia.

6. jellis999 thread starter macrumors newbie

.part download

Hi - Thanks for that. I am staying on 10.4.11 because of all my music software..I updated Flash to the max that was possible under this OS and all was fine until a few days ago and now nothing will download.

A mystery for the time being then!?

7. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Bad internet connection likely.

8. jellis999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope - just had broadband installed so its much faster now than it was last week. Could it be something to do with sky and my package?? It is unlimited data tho...hmmm....

----------

Thanks people.. It is working now...maybe/probably what you said - bad or intermittent connection issues.

Phew!

It was a good indicator for me that no one pointed to anything in particular so I didn't mess about with my settings too much.

Cheerz