Downloading Icons some software and getting weird Extentions..How Do i make them WORK

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pauljbaldwin, May 5, 2009.

1. pauljbaldwin macrumors newbie

Every time i download different icons or something to change the dock the files come for example as "example.db" or example.png, example.icns, .ico ....how do i make these files work?? it seems everyone else doesnt have a proble with it?? please help Thank you

2. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

I would imagine you would need to use something such as Candybar to meet your need

Thanks

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

what you need is a FREE program called image to icons. found here. it will turn all those files into .icns which is what os x uses for icons. after that you can change the icons one of two ways.

1. The easy way - copy (cmd + c) the .icns image you want to be the new icon, right click the app that you want to change, click more info, click the icon in the upper left corner the press cmd + v

2. The advanced user way - right click on the app you want to change, click show package contents>contents>resources then find the current icon image. this can be tricky sometimes because depending on the program there may be a lot of .icns files in there. once you have located it press the enter key to rename it, copy the name including the .icns part of it. go back to the new icon and again press the enter key to rename it and copy the original icon name into the new one. then drag it into the resources folder. this should replace the old one. make sure that you make a copy of the original if you want to go back to it.

4. pauljbaldwin thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you.... do you know why if i cahnge safari it won't change in the dock?? and why if i try to change the dock i hav e to try and find the dock resources folder??

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

to change safari in the dock, you have to remove it and then re-add it after you have changed it.

and what do you mean by change the dock? do mean as far as the icons go or have you downloaded a custom dock that you want to use? if that is the case use this dock controller.

and fyi the dock resource folder is in harddrive>system>library>core services> then look for dock. i dont recommend changing anything in there tho unless you really know what you are doing. just let that app that i linked you to take care of it.

6. pauljbaldwin thread starter macrumors newbie

i read that it says just to drag and drop it in there but it wont let me drop it in there??? i know i'm being lame with these questions... but appreciate the help.. thank you... and is there anyway to change safari?? to black so the theme isn't slate grey??

thnk you again

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

your dock may be locked. but the only way that you could have done that is if you a program like Onyx. so if you have never used this program or others like it i dont know how you locked it. but i would reccommend dowloading it anyway cause it's a great program to have. once you have downloaded it select parameters inside the program, then select dock. make sure the box next to Lock Dock is unchecked (see screenshot below sorry about the bad circling i was bored and wanted to use the brush tool:))

and if you want an awesome dark Safari Icon check THIS one out.

Attached Files:

• Onyx.jpg
      Onyx.jpg
      File size:
      254.7 KB
      Views:
  8. pauljbaldwin thread starter macrumors newbie

OK will do... when i go into those system folders... i still don't understand what to delete or take out, to make the dock change color...or like the black aqua safari its that same png file...?? how come i can't just click it nd have it pop open?? or have just apply... i have candybar and shapshifter

9. pauljbaldwin thread starter macrumors newbie

and in addition everything says i need to be running mac os x 10.5?? wtf?

10. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

like i said i wouldnt mess around with the dock files just use the leoparddocks app that i linked you to. for the Safari icon use the image2icons app that i gave you to convert to .icns. and if you have candybar this should be a pretty simple procedure.

are you supposed to be running Leopard? what does it say in the "about this mac" window.