Downloading in a backdoor?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lozanoj83, May 12, 2007.

1. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

Hey all,
    I have sort of this problem... or nuisance, whichever one of the two you want to call it.

I have a PowerMac G4 533MHz and all the time when i turn it on, and leave on for like... 20-30 min it gets slow and seems like its downloading something from somewhere. I have iStat running on dashboard and in less than 20 min it has downloaded more than 30mb, even tough i haven't even launched Safari. I usually launch iTunes and adium, but nothing is being downloaded through iTunes because the little "downloads" sidebar is not there, and im pretty dam sure that Adium wont download that much information to get up on a chat...
    so im wondering if u guys have any ideas as to what is hogging all this bandwidth..
    thanks!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're not the first person to find ridiculous network traffic when you're not doing anything. Imagine getting terabytes easily up and down over DSL.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

4. lozanoj83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

Thanks madjew!
    ima see if with this app i can find out what is using up my bandwith...

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Podcast subscriptions in iTunes?

P2P software?

Widget that's grabbing a data feed?

6. lozanoj83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

Well I do have podcast subscription tin iTunes, but there not downloading anything or else the little
    "downloads" sidebar would appear in iTunes and it dosent, there's no P2P software, i have Azureus turned off, well widgets i have some open but nothing major that would cause the whole lot of MB to go up and down my bandwidth... some Chuck Norris widget, Jack Bauer Widget, Weather widget, nothing really major i beleive

7. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Are you the only user on your network? I have 6 computers at home and when someone starts a torrent, the entire network slows to a crawl unless they've configured their client responsibly.