Downloading iWork

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ditzy, Jan 27, 2009.

1. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I'm thinking about legally downloading iWork. The only thing that is putting me off is that I do not know what will happen if I have to reinstall my system for any reason. At the moment with iWork 08 I have the disks so if for some reason I have to reinstall OSX, I would just have to put the disk in and then I'd have access to it again.
    I wouldn't want to buy a downloaded copy of iWork only to have to buy it again if anything goes wrong. Would I be protected against this happening or not?
    Sorry for rambling, thanks for answering.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

As long as you keep the serial number safe you should be fine.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you can back up the disk image to a physical medium if you want. you just have to be careful to not lose the serial number then. or in any event.

4. ditzy thread starter macrumors 68000

ditzy

Would apple keep a record of the serial number for you. I know they keep a record of when you buy stuff from them. If you phoned them up would they have a record of the serial number.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

No, I wouldn't count on it.

6. ditzy thread starter macrumors 68000

ditzy

Thanks I'll just have to find somewhere safe to put the serial number.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well they do send you the serial number in an email, so just don't delete you email. For example I used my Gmail account and I labeled and just archived it. Then if I need it again, I can search for it.

8. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I keep a file folder backed up to disk and iDisk. I have one that is software and one that is hardware. I keep all serial numbers/keys/codes in there. I also back up anything I download and buy to a DVD. You don't have to depend on someone else when you can do a better job safekeeping your own information.

I actually scan all receipts and keep those in a database too. Amazing the things you can do if you think to do yourself rather than counting on others.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well they do:

Picture 1 copy.png

I would imagine they would do the same for iWork '09.

10. ditzy thread starter macrumors 68000

ditzy

That makes sense thanks. But I think I'm just going to order the disk on the last week of the trial.

11. ditzy thread starter macrumors 68000

ditzy

That's brilliant I never thought about iDisk i think that is what I'm going to do now.

12. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I just archived my order in my gmail account so if I need to do a reinstall when I get my next Mac, I can just search my gmail for "iwork" and get the serial. Problem solved.

13. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Just burn it to a disk and write the serial number on the disk. It's no different then buying the product in the store.

14. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Yup, the tried and true Sharpie method - brings back good memories :)

Nowdays I just use my email to store serial numbers and important purchase receipts.