Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhaserFuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
I'm currently downloading a large 3 gig file, and I'm wondering what I should do with my MBP. Is there a way to turn the display off, but keep computer on? Would this be the best method to use? I plan on having it download overnight.

Thanks!

steinlager

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
You could turn down your screen brightness to minimum and set a schedule for shutdown under Energy Saver -> Schedule. Or you can set up a hotspot for display sleep under the Expose menu.

matperk

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Wirelessly posted (Treo 700wx - Alltel: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

SoLibertyDies said:
yeah just turn down the display brightness, computers are meant to be left on for extended periods of time so dont' worry about her just overnight. :)

agreed. there is no problem leaving your machine up and running. Mine has been rendering videos (100%) usage for about 72 hours and still going...

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
mines been on since xmas..
i've restarted a few times due to updates..
the LED backlight will out-live the life of the TFT anyway,
but remember, even with the brightness down to min, the screan will remain on...
you can see this if you shine a light on the dimmed display.

display sleep is definitely life saving...

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
You can also sleep the display by hitting control+shift+eject. That's what I do on my iMac if I need to leave it running overnight.

Double thanks! I've been looking for that one for a while! :)

Too the OP, you can also reduce the processor performance in the "Energy Saver" control panel, to reduce heat.

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
You can also sleep the display by hitting control+shift+eject.

that doesn't work on my mbp
it turns it off but as soon as i release ctrl+shift it turns back on.
would be nice because i leave mine on a lot, i just usually turn the display sleep for 5min or something

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
that doesn't work on my mbp
it turns it off but as soon as i release ctrl+shift it turns back on.
would be nice because i leave mine on a lot, i just usually turn the display sleep for 5min or something

Try doing it, so the eject key is the last key to be released. ;)

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
If I'm not mistaken, on my MBP that puts the system to sleep, not just the display. I can't really try it now, but I've done it before.

i did it while doing stuff and it didn't do anything so your free to try
and if you figure it out on a mbp
thanks

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
The shortcut for full system sleep is command+option+eject.

I'd been looking for a way to force the display to sleep for a long time and somehow ran across that keyboard shortcut a while back. I can't remember where I found it, but I was so happy when I did.

Glad I could be of help to you guys. That's what I love about MR. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.