Downloading Lion from Windows?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ktalebian, Nov 2, 2011.

1. ktalebian macrumors regular

Hi there,

So my Mac partition doesn't work anymore; I was updating the latest updates, and the in the middle of it, the installation failed, and now the computer freezes on the grey screen.

I can still boot into my Windows partition and I have backed up all my files. So can I download Lion from Windows somehow and create my restore USB file and restore my computer?

Alternatively, if I use my friend's Mac and download Mac from his computer, would that work on mine (I mean in terms of the accounts! The Lion that I download then would be through his account, and not mine).

Thanks
    Kousha

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You need to purchase/download Lion from the Mac App Store which is only available on a Mac, so you cannot download it from there.

The other option is to buy Lion on the thumb drive

3. ktalebian thread starter macrumors regular

I already have downloaded it; So there is no online version of this? And what happens if I use my friend's?

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

when you hold option on bootup do you see a HD Recovery Partition?

5. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

You can install Snow Leopard inside a VMware Workstation Virtual Machine, then use your Mac App Store account to download Lion from the MAS. Works also with VMware Fusion on the Mac.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

SnowLeopard will not run inside Vmware without hacking the OS or vmware. The EULA forbids running OSX 10.6 and before to be run in an virtual environment. The only exception is Snow Leopard Server. Apple eased that restriction in 10.7 but for 10.6 its not allowed and vmware won't boot it up without hacking

7. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

8. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Did someone, besides you, say something about hacking? Even if people do it, it is not your or my business to provide legal advice. If they get legal problems-not my or your problem. I thought we provide solutions here, not legal advice. Or do we receive large payments for our legal advice here?

And btw, with the Apple menu in the menubar, each SL VM is a "Apple-branded computer", as defined in the SL Client EULA. ;)

They do not say in the EULA, that it has to be a "Apple-branded computer" before you start the computer.