Downloading Lion on older Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ng7apoc, Jul 25, 2011.

1. ng7apoc, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

ng7apoc macrumors member

Hi,

I have both a late 2007 Macbook and an early 2006 iMac. The iMac is currently my main machine but I'm planning on replacing it in the coming weeks, until then I want to upgrade my Macbook to Lion but its still running Leopard.

Is there any way I can download Lion on my iMac, both to save upgrading to Snow Leopard first and because it has a superdrive I can make a bootable disc from.
    I've tried to buy from the Mac App store but it just gives the Core Duo doesn't meet minimum specs, anyway to get around this?

2. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Your 2006 iMac will not be able to install Mac OS 10.7 (Lion). It requires a Core 2 Duo (64-Bit), the 2006 iMac is a Core Duo (32-BIT).

You have two options on installing Mac OS 10.7 on your late 2007 MacBook. One is buy Snow Leopard or wait until Apple releases the $69 jump drive next month.

Hugh

3. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

4. ng7apoc thread starter macrumors member

Sorry think i've not explained myself properly. I realise i can't install it on my iMac, and nor do I want to given its to be replaced just wanted to know if it was possible to download it on there for ease of burning installer to DVD.

I actually do have Snow Leopard for the Macbook but ended up not installing it at the time due its lack of use. Guess it won't take long to upgrade it and do it that way just thought I may have been able to skip that step :D

5. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Yeah, if you want to do the legal way you have to install SL. But after downloading it from SL you can make a boot disk from that, of course you knew that already. :D

Hugh

6. ng7apoc thread starter macrumors member

While doing my regular backup with SuperDuper! it struck me if I just connected my cloned backup USB HDD to my Macbook I can download Lion from the Mac App store that way and then install to Macbook when done. Worked great :D

7. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Yeah, that would work too. :D

Hugh

8. thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

late 2007 macbook

is it really a big deal that my late 2007 macbook has only 1gb of memory and lion suggests at least 2?

i bought a macbook pro so i have lion on it but was curious about putting it on my old macbook. thanks.

9. ng7apoc thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure if it would even install without its minimum specs being present, given the message it gives Core Duo users despite workarounds for the developer previews showing it ran fine on them

good news is RAM is cheap to buy and easy to install :)

10. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

I am on a late 2007 MacBook. You are going to need to up the ram to at least 2gig. But RAM is so cheap you could bump it up to 4 for little money.

I got my RAM from OWC: http://www.macsales.com

Hugh