Downloading Lion Twice From The App Store

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tomo90, Jul 21, 2011.

1. tomo90 macrumors newbie

So I downloaded Lion for my macbook pro earlier from the app store and installed it all fine and encountered no problems. Then I planned on downloading it for my iMac via the app store again. As I'd hoped on my iMac's app store the lion page simply had an 'Install' button when I was signed in with my appled ID. Unfortunately I decided against downloading it there and then since I was busy later in the day and decided to do it at a later time. Came back to it this evening and now that button on my iMac's app store now says £20.99 and when clicked on then comes up with, 'Buy app'. If I go ahead with this will it charge me? And why has it changed from the simple 'install' that I had earlier? I've doubled checked and I am defiantly signed in on my iMac's app store with my apple ID so I'm doubly confused. Any help?

2. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

That is odd. I shouldn't think you'd be charged again, though. For me, I just burned an install DVD from my initial purchase and will use that for my other Macs.

3. SteveJUK macrumors newbie

Don't worry, if you're signed in as the same itunes account as before then you won't be charged. When you click Buy it'll ask you if you want to buy the App - click Yes and then It'll display another message saying that you've already purchased the App and you won't get charged!

This is the same behaviour as the iphone and ipad when installing Apps on different devices using the same itunes account.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

No. It is not. The app store is one element that is not dependent on your version of iOS. The app store now lists "purchased items" under the updates tab. If Lion does not show up there, don't buy it or you'll have to spend some time on the phone with Apple getting your 21 pounds back. I suggest you email support to ask why Lion isn't showing up in your purchased items. I went to install Lion on my wife's machine and it wasn't in purchased items but the iTunes on her computer is logged in to her Apple ID. I copied the installer over the network. There's info at ars about how to "back up" your Lion installer before you run it so you don't have to redownload it for each machine in your house. When I ran it, it came back and said sadly she doesn't have 2 gig of RAM in her Mini so now I'm off to find RAM and read up on how to open up the Mini and replace it for her. I hope it's easier than the ordeal I went through to add RAM to my G4 Mini so I could install Leopard. :eek: