Downloading Mavs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rhobes, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Rhobes macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Hi All-

I'm a little hesitant but decided to download Mav. I have a 2011 iMac 27" (see sig) and have been running Snow Leopard without any issues. I need to learn iMovie and GarageBand & thought maybe I should download the free Mav since I can then download the latest iMovie & GB for free too.

When I hit the download button it asked me to choose a app to open it with. Thought that strange, I never been asked that before when downloading from the Apple sites. So, what app do I select to download Mav.

Any related comments appreciated since not sure I should download Mav or just stick with what works-

TIA

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Are you referring to Mavericks? It should just download to your applications folder.

3. jdblas69 macrumors regular

Are you downloading it from the Mac App store? Like Sky Blue says it should download the installer into the Applications folder and the once done you launch it and then it will take you through the installation process.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

5. Rhobes, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014

Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Attached Files:

6. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Did you even try to download it from the Mac App Store ??

You must launch the App Store application, and get Mavericks from there.

7. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

O.K., so I just click O.K. to proceed, thought it was asking me to chose an application.....

Thanks-:D

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think what happened is you used this link that takes you to Mavs in the App Store and your mac for whatever reason did not have app store links associated with launching the App Store app and got tripped up.

9. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

I'm there now. I read it takes some time to download so I'm going to wait and do it later this evening when things quiet down. I have good download speed and Ethernet connection so maybe will go better.

Meantime, anything I should do?
    A couple days ago I used Disk utilities, & did permissions, verified disk. I zapped pram and did SMC as here: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3603
    and going to back up now. Missing anything? :rolleyes:

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just make sure you have a good backup before you do this. A standard Mavs install will not wipe your data, but sometimes all the thrashing around of an OS upgrade kills hard drives that were already on the edge. So backup just to be safe.

You have about a 5GB download ahead of you there. :)

11. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes