Downloading Music and Limewire

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eXpress, Jun 18, 2007.

1. eXpress macrumors member

I don't know if this is true of a lot of colleges, but the college I am attending next year holds it as a responsibility to observe copyright laws. This means that if they identify your computer as illegally distributing material it can be suspended from the network. Basically, they are telling you to remove things like Limewire and other peer-to-peer sharing apps. What I'm wondering is if I uninstall Limewire before I arrive to campus and have it all on iTunes would I be at risk or is there no way to tell because iTunes is not a file-sharing application?

Thanks in advance

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They will be able to tell all music you downloaded and delete it. They can also kick you out of school for stealing music. Don't steal music.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

How?

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

So, basically, you're asking if you can have illegally obtained music on your system and get away with it? Did you agree to observe the copyright laws and now want to find a way to violate that agreement?

Look, I'm no fan of the RIAA. In fact, I dislike them greatly. But keeping a lot of illegal music on a system that's network accessible and which, via software like iTunes, can share music? Not a great idea.

5. eXpress thread starter macrumors member

i didnt mean to come off as a downloading criminal. i have never used limewire until i got my mac last week and used to buy all my music from iTunes, but the problem was when i got my new computer i was unable to transfer the music so i needed a way to at least get some of it back. if anyone could help me with the transferring from my PC to Mac it would solve my problem.

thanks

6. 66217 Guest

Just copy your PC iTunes folder to an external and then copy it to you new Mac, overwrite the iTunes folder.

Also, if you have your purchased music in your iPod, I think you can move it from there to your new Mac.

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Or burn all your music to a CD/DVD in data mode, so you can fit a ton of music on one disc.

Apple has an entire article dedicated to moving your music to a new computer located here.