Downloading NZBs using just iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iainr, Mar 30, 2011.

1. iainr macrumors newbie

I'm considering getting an iPad 2 and was wondering if there is a jailbreak app that lets you download and extract using NZBs from usenet? I'm thinking of something similar to NZBDrop or NZBVortex from the mac app store which will do all the downloading and processing and put the file into a folder for you.

I know its possible to use the iPad to set files downloading on a computer and these can be transferredusing dropbox, but I'm talking about doing the whole process on an iPad, is this possible? And if not, is it because of limitations of the device or has it just not been done yet?

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

Honestly, I would assume it's possible, but probably not very well. The first thing to consider is no File System. so you'd have to store the files in the apps documents folder and possibly be able to open the files in other programs. Second thing, I'm sure the A5 is not optimized for complex uudecodes and decoding rar's and processing PAR's.

I looked for this recently, and have not found a solution on the iPad. I have given up.

3. iainr thread starter macrumors newbie

So it's likely just a processing power issue then.

As far as the file system goes would it be possible to have the files moved into another app after processing, so video and music files are transferred into VLC and the rar files and PAR2's are deleted?

Its a shame if it's not possible as it seems like it would be quite a nice solution if you were away from your main computer for long periods

4. brianm801 macrumors member

There are a few apps that let you control a sabnzbd server (SABCommander for example) but nothing that does the work.

The iPad is more then capable of doing what you want... its just that nobody has written an app to do it yet.

I've toyed around with the idea (and even did a few test apps) but decided that:

1) There isn't a huge market for that type of app
    2) I didn't want the negative stigma that comes from that type of app.
    3) The people that would use the app are the people that wouldn't pay for it :D

5. iainr thread starter macrumors newbie

I would, but I can see where you're coming from on that one!