All iPads Downloading Office 365 Docs to iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TJ61, Nov 17, 2014.

1. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Is there a way to download Office 365 docs to my iPad so that they stay resident, like I do with, say, GoodReader?

It appears that there's some amount of cache, intended to allow users to access files offline (the help file says to open the files you want before going offline, which would have the effect of putting them in cache). No clue how many MB's of files you can open before the first one gets pushed out to nowhere.

I also see there's a "Recent" section, with a way to "pin" documents. Of course it doesn't explain what that means, though I presume it means to maintain that doc in cache. But still, no indication how much cache there is.

Is that it? Or am I missing something?

This just bit me today as I was in a meeting, and the wifi was acting up. Funny thing is, there seemed to be "enough wifi" so the app wanted to get my doc from the cloud rather than use the one in cache. Knowing what I know now, had I gone into Airplane mode, I might have been fine.

2. macduke Suspended

macduke

I just installed it the other day when it went free. Haven't been able to use it much since then, but didn't know that it only stores photos in the cloud. So iWork downloads all the files from iCloud when you first load it, and then just syncs the changes when they happen. I wonder why Office doesn't do this? Is it because you're saving to Dropbox or something? I setup my Dropbox account, but like I said I've only played around with it for a little bit. Hopefully if they integrate iCloud Drive then we can keep a local cache like other apps do. It's ridiculous to expect all of your files to only be available when you have a connection. Many people have WiFi only iPads or no tethering.