Downloading Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by imacattack, Apr 22, 2008.

1. imacattack macrumors member

imacattack

I am trying to download a software from VersionTracker but after downloading and I click on it, it goes into my email. duh... why does this happens?

2. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Please be more specific about the problem, the file you're downloading and what it does.

3. imacattack thread starter macrumors member

imacattack

The problem is

I downloaded a software called Web Studio. When I click on it, my email opens up as if I am sending an email, with the file in it. This happens a lot when I am downloading. I don't know how to resolve this.

4. windowpain macrumors 6502a

If you click on the icon in finder and choose 'get info',(or right click it), you can change the program that opens that file type.

At the moment it appears that you have mail opening the file.
    I assume you are downloading programs and that these are mostly all the same file type.

5. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

You may want to force "rebinding".

"Prebinding is a process that, essentially, updates the information various applications store about where to find necessary shared libraries and other components. It can not only result in faster launch times, but also allow a non-launching application to work properly when there is a glitch in its addressing data."

1. Open the Terminal (located in Applications/Utilities)

2. Type: sudo update_prebinding -root / -force and press Return.

When prompted for a password, enter your admin password, and press Return again. The process may take a few minutes, and you may see various messages flash by. The process is complete when the Terminal returns to a normal prompt.

3. Type exit and press Return.

4. Check for the capability to launch problematic applications (in your case downloads)