Downloading question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by robitusson, Jun 23, 2010.

1. robitusson macrumors newbie

When I download a file, it opens and starts playing when the download is finished. How do I stop this?

For example, if I'm downloading an MP3, it'll butt into whatever I'm listening to and start playing when it's done. I just want to download something and have it do nothing when it's finished.

Not a critical problem. Just an irritant. Any help please? :)

2. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

The options/preferences of your web browser allow you to change this.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

go to the Preferences in safari (i.e. Safari Menu->Prefences) then the "General" tab - then the bottom tick "open "safe" files after downloading" UNTICK that.

that should be it :)

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Safari > Preferences > General

[​IMG]

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

beat ya nerr nerr :p

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

But I can pee, see: :p = :p

And you beat me, because you're up for whatever hours and I had to endure a cussing rabbit called Sid.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i have absolutely no idea what you just said. its only 10PM where i am lol. i am on holidays, i do what i want :p

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You messed up your :p, as many people, including me, don't understand all old school emoticons.

And the cussing rabbit was a reference to that rabbit fence once installed in that small country of yours and the rabbit called Sid, who cusses on every occasion he gets, while being on the CBS show "The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson".

And I was just using FedEx, Ups and DHL to make me dinner (it's 14:40 here).

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

capital P lowercase p same thing :p

as for the rest of it - you have an odd brain spinny. :D lol

10. robitusson thread starter macrumors newbie

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Shouldn't we all? :confused:

Btw, that odd brain of mine hasn't gotten me that far, and I would like to be able to cuss like rabbits.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

no problems :) hope you got your answer! sorry for hijacking

it seems to have gotten you a skill of writing really long helpful replies, really quickly. does that count lol?

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You mean these?
    I know them by hard heart, thus my muscle memory types those without even squinting a squeeze out of a lemon.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

Selling outside the Marketplace

All threads offering items for sale or trade, asking to buy items, or asking for pricing advice on items to be sold must be posted in the Marketplace forum, which is accessible only to qualified members and subject to additional rules; see the Marketplace Rules for details. Members not eligible for the Marketplace forum may not start threads elsewhere for such purposes.

from http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Minor_Problems

Eligibility.

To use the Marketplace forum (read threads, start threads, or post replies), you must be a forum member with user title 6502 or above, which means that you have 250 or more posts as displayed in your User Profile. This gives other members a chance to become familiar with you. To see your User Profile, click Quick Links -> My Profile at the top of a forum page. You must also have been a member for at least 180 days.

from http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Marketplace_Rules#General_Rules

Even though some might get annoyed of reading this, the thread title guy strikes again:

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Have you also taken a look at http://mroogle.*************/MRoogleSmall.gif, since that question may have been asked several times?

from the forum rules:
    Minor Problems

3. Thread titles.

Use thread titles that indicate the subject of the thread, not generic titles such as "Need advice/help". Moderators may change thread titles that have no specifics, usually by adding something more specific in parentheses.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Minor_Problems

1. How to copy the content of video DVDs to your HDD

As commercial video DVDs use a copy protection scheme called CSS (Content Scramble System), additional software is needed to copy the content of a video DVD to your HDD, which is called "ripping". There are several applications to accomplish this.​

1.1. MacTheRipper 2.6.6 (free)
    Insert the video DVD into your DVD drive and open MacTheRipper and click the GO button, after which you can select the place you want the video DVD's content saved to.
    As this version of MTR is quite old, it will not read many modern DVDs.

1.2. RipIt (19.95 USD, trial with 10 rips free)
    Insert the video DVD and press the RIP button.

1.3. Fairmount (free)​

1.4. Mac DVDRipper Pro (9.95 USD)
    Insert the video DVD and select a destination folder, then press the RIP button.

2. How to transcode the MPEG-2 encoded video DVD material for use on your computer after you ripped the video DVD.

As video DVDs take up a lot of space (up to 8GB), one can transcode (changing the format and encoding) the MPEG-2 encoded video into MPEG-4 encoded video via Handbrake, which might only take 1GB of HDD capacity away, while still looking good.

Handbrake currently offers to read VIDEO_TS folders, the folder on the video DVD with all the material (menus, video and audio) inside, and transcode the footage to something smaller. Currently variants of the space efficient and highly qualitative MPEG-4 codec are used, H264 or Xvid for example.
    The current version of Handbrake offers two container formats, .mkv and .mp4, older versions also had the .avi container to transcode to.
    .mkv and .mp4 containers accept the H264 codec, also used for the QuickTime trailers on Apple's Trailer page.
    Handbrake also offers PRESETS for you to choose from. There are for the AppleTV, iPhone and iPod Touch, iPod and some more.

For more information about properly using Handbrake, either go to the Handbrake Community, read the Handbrake Guide or use MRoogle to find dozens upon dozens of threads about this.​

from How to backup/copy/rip video DVDs to your HDD and transcode them to another format.

3. How to transcode the MPEG-2 encoded video DVD material for use on your computer without ripping the video DVD.

If you don't want to rip the video DVDs first, and just use Handbrake fro Transcoding the video, make sure to install VLC Player to circumvent the CSS we talked earlier about.
    But as Handbrake is 64-bit and VLC is 32-bit, you need to download Handbrake in 32-bit too.

VLC Player 32-bit (VLC 1.0.5)
    Handbrake 64-bit Intel, 32-bit Intel and 32-bit PPC on this page, so choose the right one

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

BAM! 10k words a min! :D

15. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I thinks it's less, I once had a very, very long post, and MR wouldn't allow me to post it, because I reached the limit of maximum letters/words per post. I don't know the number though.

I'm heading over to the other thread, about re-installing Mac OS X. Spread some info there.....