Downloading questionable files?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Atypical, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Atypical macrumors newbie

Ok.. so hear mac cannot get viruses but they are susceptible to trojans and worms. Now i like to download files that could contain trojans or worms. I also might currently have a trojan or worm on my computer because it has been acting strange sometimes. Now is there a program I can download or buy that will allow me to scan my computer as well as files that I download for mac?
    Appreciate any help you may be able to offer.

2. ahm macrumors member

Clam AV is pretty good and it's free. Updated often too. However, it does not offer live protection (it won't alert you if someone is trying to compromise your computer) and it does not remove the malicious software from your computer. It will find it, show you what it is, then it's your job to remove it. Unless you buy some anti virus software of course

3. Atypical thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. Now what would you recommend in terms of antivirus software?

4. ahm macrumors member

That is anti virus software (AV stands for "Anti Virus"). The website gives you instructions on adding it as a contextual menu item as well so you can right click (control-click) a folder and scan it before opening it. It's a simple drag and drop. I don't know about any other software. I tend to avoid purchasing anti virus software. I'll use a free tool but besides that I just try to be smart about what I'm doing.

5. Blinkwing macrumors member

Nothing. UNIX based systems like OS X are secure by default.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Don't do that.

I like to buy cars whose accelerators could get stuck and cause the car to crash at 100mph and kill me. I have survived three crashes so far. Still trying. What do you advise?

7. ahm macrumors member

[​IMG]

*beep* OS X is completely invulnerable against malicious software *beep*
    *beep* OS X never crashes *beep*
    *beep* Apple computers are indestructible *beep*
    *beep* Apple is the greatest multi-national corporation to ever exist *beep*

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not true. While no viruses exist that run on current Mac OS X, Macs ARE susceptible to trojans, which the user must first actively install.

9. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Hmm, is BitDefender compatible with Mac's OS X? J/W

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No.