Downloading same files daily

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ijf440, Jul 8, 2009.

1. ijf440 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm hoping to find something that will enable me to automatically download the same files daily (PDF version of The Guardian newspaper!).

Is there software/automator that would allow this?

Many thanks,
    ijf

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

try speed download. you can set the download queue to start everyday and add files to download from a url, it probably will fit what you want to do.

EDIT: Automator might be an easier option because you can just save the workflow as an application and keep it on your desktop and when you want to download the file you can just start the application.

3. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

If it's the same file name, you could just set up a workflow in Automator to do this.

4. redwallhp macrumors newbie

Yep, or you could write a shell script to use curl or wget, then set it to execute daily with a crontab. That's a bit more technical though. :)

5. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Well, I figured if he was asking if this was possible, then Automator would be a better option than cron job. That's like answering a guy who asks if it's possible to retread his tires by saying yes and pointing him towards a rubber tree with a knife and a mallet.

6. ijf440 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ha, thanks guys. I haven't used Automator as yet, so I'll see what it can do. Otherwise, I'll investigate curl and wget... believe it or not, despite the n00b style question, I do have a bit of scripting experience :)

Thanks again.
    ijf