Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
Are there any apps that will let me download text files and open them for editing?

I share a dropbox among my Macs, and would like to be able to download rtf files to my iPod touch and edit them. Obviously if I go to the dropbox in Safari it just opens the text file as a web page.

Is it possible to download and edit rtfs on an iPod touch or iPhone?

odelay

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
I'm not aware of any app that lets you download and edit rtf files. I have tried uploading an rtf to my MobileMe iDisk and editing it in QuickOffice, but it doesn't open the file. I've also tried emailing it to my Exchange account and editing it in Documents to Go, but the email doesn't get downloaded for some reason, perhaps because it isn't a supported file type.

However both these apps will let you edit txt and doc files. So if this is sufficient for your needs, then try one of them, QuickOffice (or just QuickWord) if you want to download and edit from your iDisk (if you are a MobileMe user), or Docs to Go if you use Exchange and prefer this method.

I've used both these apps and prefer Docs to Go, mainly due to the Exchange attachment access. I just wish they added iDisk access to it.

I'm not aware of any text editing app that lets you download from DropBox and edit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.