Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
I just have a question if on an rMBP if I download a lot of Torrent does it cause any harm to the Hardware of the Device ? Can too much downloading pose any harm to the machine ?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Volume does not equate damage, but depending on what you download certainly may increase the risk of malware.

Reactions: throAU

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I just have a question if on an rMBP if I download a lot of Torrent does it cause any harm to the Hardware of the Device ? Can too much downloading pose any harm to the machine ?

No.

however, if you run your SSD at 100% full constantly, it can cause the filesystem to fragment and wear levelling to slow the machine down more.

Try to maintain free space, the OS will be able to more easily fit things into free space and keep files contiguous and the SSD wear levelling works better with free space.

Some will say fragmentation doesn't matter on SSD. It doesn't matter as much but it still happens, just the impact to speed is LESS.

edit:
as above, standard malware disclaimer of course applies. but that's nothing to do with running the machine too full.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
So if I keep Malware in check and keep some free space on the SSD ! I should be fine, right guys ? Constant downloading doesn't cause any wear and tear of the hardware ? Right ?

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok

Downloading too much put a hurt onto my 07 MBP, different beast but I would not recommend it for a notebook. Get a NAS and use that.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So if I keep Malware in check and keep some free space on the SSD ! I should be fine, right guys ? Constant downloading doesn't cause any wear and tear of the hardware ? Right ?
Nah.... it won't hurt a thing. I think what you are alluding to is wearing our the SSD cells with write activity, and that is a real thing. But in reality you are talking about wearing out your SSD in 15 years instead of 20 (just a made up example) perhaps. Don't sweat it.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Nah.... it won't hurt a thing. I think what you are alluding to is wearing our the SSD cells with write activity, and that is a real thing. But in reality you are talking about wearing out your SSD in 15 years instead of 20 (just a made up example) perhaps. Don't sweat it.

So but can too much downloading make the process of the SSD cells wearing off faster ?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So but can too much downloading make the process of the SSD cells wearing off faster ?
Sure... downloading tons of torrents does write to the drive some and use up NAND cell write cycles, but my point is even then the SSD is likely to last much longer than you are ever going to own that computer. I would just use it how you want and not worry about it.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013

There was some long term testing of consumer SSD's in 2014 and even the worst ones took 700TB of writes before dying and the best 1.2 petabytes, making weaselboys 15-20 year estimate probably about right for normal use. Of course ssd's are even better in many cases 2 years later so you really are worrying about nothing. See link below for some info on testing performed.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/06/consumer-grade-ssds-actually-last-a-hell-of-a-long-time/

Final disclaimer, any peice of electronic equipment can just up and die at any time for no discernible reason but this is fairly rare for ssd's.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Sure... downloading tons of torrents does write to the drive some and use up NAND cell write cycles, but my point is even then the SSD is likely to last much longer than you are ever going to own that computer. I would just use it how you want and not worry about it.
I also think this is something that would apply to any machine with an SSD and not something particular to a Macbook pro.

Reactions: Weaselboy

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Overheated, killed a fan, machine really wasn't the same after that.. I was seriously downloading a ton of stuff

How did you reach to the conclusion that it happened because of downloading a lot of stuff !

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
How did you reach to the conclusion that it happened because of downloading a lot of stuff !
Because he doesn't know anything about how computers work.

Downloading will not cause any wear on a computer more than just using the damn thing like you always do.

Reactions: thekev

nStyle

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2009
Downloading will not cause any wear on a computer more than just using the damn thing like you always do.
Well that's not exactly true. All parts inside a PC/laptop do have a useable life. They are susceptible to wear and tear just like any other component on earth. That still wouldn't stop me from using a machine the way I would otherwise...it's definitely a silly thing to worry about.

The real takeaway though is that you'll upgrade your laptop LONG before any of the components are toast (barring very few exceptions).

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
ytrty8iuytrty7u8i
Well that's not exactly true. All parts inside a PC/laptop do have a useable life. They are susceptible to wear and tear just like any other component on earth. That still wouldn't stop me from using a machine the way I would otherwise...it's definitely a silly thing to worry about.

The real takeaway though is that you'll upgrade your laptop LONG before any of the components are toast (barring very few exceptions).
All I'm saying is that the OP, the notion that downloading anything is even remotely going to accelerate the wear and tear of his machine is ridiculous. While yes in the most technical sense it is happening, but it is patently absurd in 2016 to claim that excessive downloading is going to make any noticeable difference whatsoever.

Reactions: oserere and ABC5S

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
The MBP was running great, then I went and downloaded a ton of torrents over the period of about 6 months, one morning I woke up to find the MBP cooking with a broken fan.. I really don't care what anyone says or thinks, I am 99% sure that the 30+ torrents I was running at any given time were inappropriate for a notebook 24/7. It causes too much heat, pushing the cooling system till it broke.

A notebook, is fine to grab a few torrents, but I would never leave it running overnight to grab a dozen or more files. A desktop system or NAS is more appropriate for 24/7 use.
[doublepost=1465453992][/doublepost]
Because he doesn't know anything about how computers work.

This person clearly has the absolute knowledge on all things IT, so believe him, don't question anything, and abuse your notebook. Use it like it was desktop class hardware designed for 24/7 use. Yes, after 20+ years of being an IT professional, I "don't know how computers work" If your machine overheats, and your cooling system gets pushed to it's limits..it will cause wear and tear to your cooling system. My only point was that genius, because fans do wear out. Well, maybe yours don't because that's not possible

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.