Downloading Videos From Youtube....

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iGuy38, Dec 19, 2010.

1. iGuy38 macrumors member

Apr 8, 2010
    I found some video clips on youtube that i wanna put in my next video project, but I have yet to find a decent youtube downloader that works well. Can anyone here recommend me a site or software (windows and mac compatible) that would let me download youtube videos with ease?
  2. gonyr macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2006
    Niagara County, NY
    Use safari. Load the video, then open the activity window. Find the video on the list (probably the largest file size). Option-double click on it. Rename downloaded file as needed. Done.
  3. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Sep 25, 2007
    Upstate NY
    There is this

and I am using Chrome beta with an extension that adds a dropdown box in the youtube selection which works great.

Download YouTube Videos as MP4 - Version: 1.1.2
    Adds an option to download YouTube videos.
    ID: oiedkoafeodhiiccoclonninnkjbjnff

Hope this helps, I tried the safari methods and it was a PITA, with the above extension you just select the dropdown and the 3 types of movie extensions and its yours with in a minute.

I do use Chrome primarily , safari is OK IMHO, Fire fox is playing catch up.
  4. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    If you use the ClickToFlash plug-in ( or the extension with the same name (, you can right click on any YouTube video and choose to download it in its .mp4 form, for which you still might need MPEG Streamclip to properly transcode it to a .mov file using the Apple Intermediate Codec to get the videos into iMovie.