Downloading Windows 7 and Creating DVD

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hexonxonx, May 19, 2011.

1. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I am about to buy and download Windows 7 so that I can install it on my MBP. Can I purchase the download on my MBP and make a DVD that can run to install Windows with Bootcamp?

Also, I am going to buy the family pack so that I can upgrade my MB running XP to 7. Any instructions on this as well? Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If memory serves me I needed to download it from a windows machine, as there's a download manager that is being used.

3. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

4. alchemistmuffin macrumors 6502

5. Quad5Ny, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Sorry, its the 5th or so time I've posted links to the ISO's this week.

6. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

I have a question. I already own a real copy of Windows 7 Pro 64, but is there an ISO for Windows 7 SP1 Pro 64 anywhere to download. I am going to have to install it in bootcamp soon and would rather install the newer version. The one you have posted is the original version, or is it SP1?

7. balamw, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011

balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

These are pre-SP1, mydigitallife has an article with links to torrents of the MSDN ISOs with integrated SP1, but I can't link to it due to forum rules.

EDIT: It's a shame slipstreaming doesn't work anymore...

B

8. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

For anyone who may find this thread:

Do not install 64bit. After install, you get a warning that 3.2 64bit is not supported. I try to install 3.1 boot camp and that tells me I need 3.0. 3.0 is not available for download.

9. Quad5Ny, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 21, 2011

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

If your interested in torrenting them I can get you the SHA-1/MD5 hash's for the ISO's direct from MSDN. That way you can be sure what you download is legit. (Edit: Or you could download the SP1 Updater and put it on a CD/Thumbdrive)

Yea it sucks you can't slipstream anymore but this is because Microsoft switched to using WIM images.

When you setup Vista/Win7, the installer partitions/formats your drive, sets the boot information and then extracts the WIM into a partition. After that, the installer is done and Windows takes over.

If your curious to see what they look like, Download 7-zip, Insert the Windows disc and then open '/sources/install.wim'. The different folders in the root are each a different version of Windows (Professional, Ultimate, Ect.).