Downloading Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by HCR93, Jan 29, 2014.

1. HCR93 macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to bootcamp my new rMBP. I've done the process many times before, but this time I am struggling to find an ISO download. Every time before I've used http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59186.iso but that has recently stopped working. I don't have an external USB optical drive to make a copy of my retail disk (and wouldn't know how to turn that into a bootable USB on a Mac anyway).

Basically, any way to get access to the ISO easily? Needing Windows pretty urgently for some software for Uni. Thanks for any help :)

----------

I should add (before any anyone thinks I'm trying to pirate), I completely own a full retail copy of Windows 7 Professional. Not trying to get round Windows DRM at all here!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That's a bummer! none of the previously working Digital River links I have seem to be functional any more.

B

3. HCR93 thread starter macrumors member

Googling around some more and still can't find anything. Microsoft twitter said to call tomorrow but I can't imagine they'll be much help, I already own the disc anyway.

I do have some friends who have Macs with optical drive. Is there any way to copy the ISO from the disc and put on a USB? I imagine it'll be tricky as will have copy protection right?

How to Apple expect us to get the ISO if it's non-downloadable any more?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

No copy protection.

You can easily make an ISO yourself with Burn OS X, Disk Utility or even using dd from Terminal.

http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net

B

5. HCR93 thread starter macrumors member

That's great news, thanks! Could you run me through (or give me a link) of how to make the USB from the disc? I imagine it's similar to making a bootable OS X which I've done, but wanna get this right and don't have much time to fiddle around.

Thanks again balamw :)

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123