Downloading with the lid closed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jkramb, Sep 11, 2008.

1. jkramb macrumors member

I'm currently studying abroad in Austria and the only place I have access to hi speed wi-fi is when I'm at school. Is there anyway for me to set my computer so it will download my itunes purchases with the lid closed so i can just leave it in my bag and have it download? I can't really have it out and open in class.

2. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

definitely no. It will burn up and most likely shut itself down.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

DO NOT do this.

The system will shut down when the chipset reaches 100+ however many degrees but that probably won't happen until your external case gets warped

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i dont see why people want to do this. the MacBook will get hotter. just set the Mac to never sleep and the display to sleep after a number of minutes in Energy Saver preferences.

5. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

well if you can keep it from frying then use insomnia but you have been warned of destroying your computer

6. nephilim7 macrumors regular

yes this is fine, just make sure that the back vent area is open and not blocked.

the mbp is meant to run in clamshell under full load. the only area that needs air is the back vent, if you block this, bad things will happen.

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

No it won't burn up.

Yes, it'll shut down, but it won't burn up.

8. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

well i'm not saying literally. but reaching critical shut down temperatures isn't good for long term life of the CPU, or GPU for that matter. :rolleyes:

just have it out on the table, closed but running. If you leave it in the bag you will heat it up enough so you'll have a screaming banshee in a bag. even closed on the counter will not guarantee silent running. A few times i've done it and woke up to a hot computer even though it was "idle"

in the first generation of the MBP where they mysteriously turned on in people's bags, it was still running despite reaching burning hot temperatures (even in a closed bag). Dont rely on a temperature activated shutdown.

9. nephilim7 macrumors regular

I've run mine in a bag doing 'warwalking' just make sure the vent is pointed up.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Why can't you have your computer out during class? :confused: