Downloading You Tube videos to iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by silvo, Oct 24, 2010.

1. silvo macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am a new iMac owner, and well pleased with Apple products, I am not a computer expert, nor a beginner either.

I am attempting to download a youtube training video for my wife to use at work.

I have found several references to downloading to a mac, on forums, and also have used a video on youtube its self.

Several suggest the use of iSquint, which I have downloaded ready for use.

I am opening the video, and pausing, then when clicking window in Safari, activity, as suggested, there should be a number of lines present, one of which should say download this video, or similar.

Trouble is there is only one line in the drop down box, and clicking on that to save to the desktop, does nothing.

I have checked all the obvious settings in Safari, but I cannot find any reason why there are no other lines present in the activity window.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in anticipation,

Ian Silverton

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Maybe you have to click on the little triangle in front of the line to expand the view?
    http://webrevolutionary.com/use-safaris-activity-window-to-save-web-files/

Btw, you can also use www.keepvid.com to download YouTube videos and use MPEG Streamclip to transcode the video to a better format (.mov, for QuickTime Player).

Also have a look at the following links to learn more about Mac OS X:

MRoogle is a good tool to search these fora for already existing threads about questions you have. It might be able to answer you quicker than waiting for an answer.

3. silvo thread starter macrumors newbie

spinnerlys,

Thanks for the prompt reply, I have tried ticking the little cross, all that does is close the line down, and says cancelled.

I have been trying to overcome this problem for hours, and it is driving me mad. I am beginning to imagine that saving a Youtube file is impossible, as I have also tried numerous times with Windows machines.

Ian Silverton

4. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

To download a YouTube video, simply enter the work KISS into its URL and when prompted, select its file type, file location, etc. For me, I like selecting MP4 file type. But, I've been told other file types will work as well.

For example:

To view the YouTube file: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7ZsFjUIsbE

To download the exact same file: http://www.KISSyoutube.com/watch?v=G7ZsFjUIsbE
    Note: Notice the word KISS within the URL. MP4 file type is far right little icon.

Give it a try on smaller You Tube videos first.

Works great for me...

5. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

He wasn't talking about the X to the right of the line, he meant the triangle to the left. Click on it and it will expand to show various elements of the video stream. Usually the largest one will be the video itself. Double click on it and it will be downloaded.

No, its very possible:). In fact, I'm downloading one as I'm typing this using the "activity" method you mentioned in your first post. If you're willing to go spend a little, you could also look into Videobox. It's the one I use. It has a Safari plugin and I've had no problems with it at all.

Give it another go. I'm sure you'll get it. And if you don't, come back and ask more questions. You'll get lots of help here.

James

6. silvo thread starter macrumors newbie

James,

What a star you are!! tried video box and after a little fiddling, I got it to work. I will buy the app. for future use. Thanks for taking the trouble, and making me feel welcome.

Also many thanks to Spike, I will try your suggestion as well.

Ian Silverton

7. D'Illusion macrumors regular

8. tc3jg macrumors member

All you have to do is replace the "y" in youtube in the URL with a 3 and it will give you the option to save in your desired format. O yeah forgot to mention you have to hit enter or refresh the page for it to give you the option.

9. Warbitrary macrumors regular

10. Booch21 macrumors regular

Booch21

Another option I used from my Windows days, I used RealPlayer (Pro or Plus, I'm not sure) to download and convert the videos. I now have the Mac version and using that right now. Works sweet for me.

11. alent1234 macrumors 603

there are a few firefox plugins that do this. my favorite one is called download video helper or something like that

12. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

Although, some users may find this method too complicated, it is free and built in to every Mac. Go to the video's webpage. Press Command+Option+A on the keyboard. A window pops up showing all the files that make up that website. Just double click the video file and it will download it to your Downloads folder.

The largest file is usually the video file. It usually ends in .flv and if the video is still loading, you can see it downloading like so: 1.47MB of 3MB.

13. arnop macrumors regular

arnop

Thanks for the tip ! I've been looking for that website for days !

14. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Not sure I trust Keepvid, especially after seeing this article today.

Keepvid brings up the same request with the same non-trusted certificate.

KISSyoutube.com does the same thing. Why would they need access to your computer in order to provide a download?

15. waynewhite macrumors newbie

This YouTube Downloader can download YouTube videos in HD (high-definition 720p, 1080p, and 2k), ultra high definition (4K), 3D video and stand definition for Mac users. The YouTube Downloader enables you to download video from YouTube in MP4 format if YouTube stores video in both FLV and MP4 format. Works like a charm on Mac.