Downloading YouTube videos on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mjmar, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I've seen the alt-command-a way to do this, but it never seems to work for me. If anyone can help me with that way, or tell me a completely new way to do this I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

3. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Hey, I was just downloading YouTube videos to my computer yesterday!

I used www.vixy.net to convert and save the videos. Just paste the link, and use the dropdown box to choose which kind of conversion you'd like.

Just a note, that the servers do get busy, so you may have trouble converting. You may have to refresh the page, type in the URL again, or you can also just download their desktop app that works well also. Overall, it was well worth it, and I'm in the process of trying to burn these videos to watch on a DVD.

Hope I could help, and good luck! :D

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

In Safari, open Activities from the Window menu and find the file (usually the largest in size). Click on it and Edit-Copy it, then open the Downloads window and Edit-Paste it.

5. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

commans + option + A in Safari only.

The list of things may seem confusing, so don't read it. Look on the right side, where most things say "08 KB" or something like that.

most things are small and only in the Kb range. scroll through and you should see one in the "MB" range -- it will probably still be loading "3.4 of 9.2 MB"

double click the line, and it will begin downloading. When finished, a file will be on the desktop (or where ever they download to) named "get_video"

You cannot open this yet. Re-name the file to add ".flv" at the end, now it can be played. Quicktime plays it just fine for me, if you want it in iTunes -- download iSquint, drag, drop, convert.

If quicktime doesn't play it, you might require Perian to add codecs to quicktime.

6. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

For what it's worth, I use Firefox and with the 'Fast Video Download' add-on it's a simple one-click job.

7. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Put this link in your bookmarks. When you are on a video you want to save, choose this from your bookmarks list. It will in most cases add a 'save as mp4' link to the page in the box on the right. This will let you download the higher resolution mp4 version.

get youtube video

Attached Files:

8. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

I typically just skip adding .flv extension and drag it straight into iSquint