Downloading youtube videos

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by djclo, Jun 28, 2011.

1. djclo macrumors newbie

does anyone know how to download a youtube video from my MBP? i dont really want to dl a software.

2. simsaladimbamba, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  3. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

I use AllMyTube by Wondershare, its not free, but its really easy. They have a free trial so you can evaluate it.

4. skier777 macrumors 6502

I use listentoyoutube. com for when i just need the song. Use HQ, its much better.

5. phyzics101 macrumors regular

phyzics101

All you need is Safari and HandBrake to do it. First you find your video on youtube.

(Make sure the ads on the video are done before you start the following or you will down load the ad.)

Then you click Window next to help in Safari bar on top left.
    Then you click Activity.
    Look on far right of activity screen under status and find any file that is counting up with MB next to it. Every thing else is KB.
    Look were it says 2.5 of 21.8MB on Pic.

Double click the file with MB and it will start to download and your download window will open.

Once its done add it to handBreak and convert it to mp4 or m4v and then you can add it to iTunes.

I use MetaX to make it a music video so it won't mix with my movies.

It looks like a lot of steps but It can all be done very fast.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      350.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      92.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      474.5 KB
      Views:
    • 4.png
      4.png
      File size:
      387.9 KB
      Views:
  6. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Re-encoding is unnecessary. YouTube already has an H264 and AAC in MP4 option of HTML5 viewing which will import in to iTunes just fine. I normally get the MP4 links using jDownloader.

7. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I find google so hard to use.

Anyway, I always use keepvid.com. You give the URL, and the website gives you a link of all variations that are on there. So no digging in the "activity window" or reencoding. Just click the .mp4 (or something like that, not the .flv) download.

You can now also get .mp3 files. They bundled with another website (I believe) which converts the file to .mp3 for you and gives you a link to download the audio file.

8. aeneid macrumors member

Regarding using the safari, activity window method, I highly recommend letting the video load completely. And do not start it. A few times, I've downloaded a video and it will only download however much has loaded, and starting from wherever the playback was at, at the time I started the download. Or maybe this is just an issue I've had.

9. djclo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help peeps.. i was able to dl the vid through keepvid.com. Now my next question is has anyone seen the lebron james NWO video on youtube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7xlzLOZH5c

essentially i am trying to do the same thing they did. anyone have any idea?

10. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Arent you able to just type kick in front of the url and download it??

For instance, if you want to download a video with the url of:

www.youtube.com/video > you would type in the address bar: www.kickyoutube.com/video

Thats what I do

11. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

LMAO! funniest thing I have ever seen :D:D:D

12. djclo thread starter macrumors newbie

lolol. yea its pretty jokes.. u think this can be done through imovies? i have the vid i wanna use and have the pics of my buddy.. im wondering how i can do that

13. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

I personally dont. But Im sure its possible and someone will know through this forum. Did you try the kick thing I mentioned to save videos. You dont have to pay for anything.

14. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

ooh, the kick trick is really nice.

Anyway it's pretty easy with a more advanced NLE. I made this with Final Cut Pro 7.

For this video they probably used After Effects. You could use motion ($50 in the appstore).

Essentially you just put the video in, then the head as a layer on top of it. And then keyframe the position with the software you use. But iMovie doesn't have any layers or possibilities to change (and keyframe) the position.

15. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

is it possible to just get the audio from a youtube video just by using safari (is solely using safari the best method?). i.e, if i wanted to dl a song video, can i just dl it straight off of safari as a music file instead of a video file?

yes, i read the posts here. just a lot of acronyms are being used so....

16. digivideo, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

digivideo macrumors newbie

no need downloading

Simply Visit
    http://keepvid.com

open desired youtube video in another tab
    copy url

go to keepvid tab and paste url

Boom u get different choices to download for free video or 128kbps mp3 audio or high quality mp4 iphone atv ready or flv formats
    (safari might ask for permission just say yes)

pls do not download the keepvid program you wont need it

I would just download the video open it in quicktime 7 and save as aiff for better quality

open the downloaded file in itunes

17. jive turkey macrumors 6502

I used KeepVid a bunch until it started asking for permission to access my computer. I couldn't understand why it was asking so I have started going to the old Safari method. I guess it must be safe to use KeepVid since it is still in use by many here.