Downloads and Sleeping

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by hubbni, Feb 14, 2008.

1. hubbni macrumors newbie

When I am downloading a rental or podcast to my apple tv, sometimes I don't want to leave it on, as I might want to go to bed. Am I able to put the unit to sleep and still have it continue downloading? (Obviously I understand how sleep works on a mac, so in that case no.) I was just unsure how the apple tv sleep worked, and if you were still able to do downloads and synch while it is in this mode.

2. kbunch macrumors member

kbunch

I am not sure about your answer since I have not tried. I wounder why you want to put it into sleep mode? Mine seems to be just as warm in sleep mode vs on so I assume it is drawing about the same amount of electricity. Also if you leave it on to download I believe it will go into sleep mode once the download is finished and the sleep mode time limit is reached.

3. slate1 macrumors regular

What sleep mode time limit??? Is that something new I missed in 2.0? If I leave my :apple:TV just sitting there it never goes into sleep mode unless I force it to.

4. kbunch macrumors member

kbunch

No it is nothing you missed... I guess I am wrong. I thought it would go into sleep mode. I just got mine 2 weeks ago so I am not sure about all the functionality.

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

6. hubbni thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect, that is what I wanted to know!

I guess it is just new, and I was worried about leaving it on all the time. But it looks like downloads still continue even when put into standby.

7. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yeah devices today don't really turn off. I think they only even put a standby mode, to help ease the worries of those who miss an off button.