Downloads are stopping

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by r.kirkerrr, Feb 18, 2012.

1. r.kirkerrr macrumors member

I have had my MBA for about two weeks now, and everything has been grand, however only in the past day or two, when i go to download any large files (around 100mb) the download works until it reaches a certain point, which changes on given days, so for example today when i have tried to download some files, they have all downloaded up to 0.5mb and then started slowing to the point where it essentially stops.

I'm not sure if this is a big problem, but i couldn't really find any solutions to the problem :/ i would appreciate any help

2. simsaladimbamba

How do you download those files and are they from the same source?

3. r.kirkerrr thread starter macrumors member

I think it is a problem with rapidshare, now that you raise that point. The files i wanted were on rapidshare and nowhere else but i was able to download on wupload there now.

is it rapidshare not working properly?

4. simsaladimbamba

I don't know.

I guess, you are using Safari then?
    Tried a download manager like JSDownloader yet?

5. r.kirkerrr thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, seems just to be rapidshare, i can't be bothered even working through it there are ways around using rapidshare.

Thank you for your help

6. Bemopti123 macrumors newbie

Are you doing this through a WIFI router or Ethernet? If you are using a router, attempt to do it through Ethernet. If it works, then, it might be a failing router.

But, I get this impression that the MacBook Air does not have an Ethernet port, right? Then, you might have to get a different router and try to see if it works that way.

I have seen this sort of behavior about 2-3 times in the past 2-3 years in different places. Even though the computers I have used were a MacMini with built in Airport and also doing Wifi in another person's house, the results were the same. Downloading would stall after perhaps 4-12 MB...

I do not necessarily think it might be the site where you are downloading from.

In my case, after the diagnosis, I got new routers for the problem spots and problem solved.

BTW: stay away from Belkin routers...this is the brand that was just 2-3 years old and failed. Strangely, by old, primitive Netgear G router has lasted 8 years and is still functioning...now used as a Ethernet hub, Wifi repeater.