downloads are timing out - MB with Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by eggman2001, May 21, 2008.

1. eggman2001 macrumors newbie

When I try to download large files, they always stop part way through. It seems like I can't download anything that takes longer than 30 seconds to download. There's no error message - it just appears that it's trying to continue to download but nothing is getting transferred.

The other day, I used someone else's network and I was able to download fine. That seems to point to an issue with my network. However, the PCs on my network don't have this downloading issue.

Any ideas?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Same problem here

I have a very similar problem to yours, though mine only comes up with >100MB files. The fix I've used, which has always worked for me, is to give it a little "kick" by pausing/resuming the download (works in Safari 3 and Apple Software Update, but not in Firefox 2 - Firefox starts over from the beginning instead). Alas, the issue keeps coming back, sometimes multiple times on the same file, and my Windows PC doesn't seem to be affected.

3. eggman2001 thread starter macrumors newbie

The pausing/resuming works for me too, but depending on what I'm using to download, I don't have the option to pause and resume.

May I ask what kind of network hardware you're using? I'm wirelessly connecting to a Linksys QoS router.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have the following network hardware, in my "normal" setup:
    Wired connection: Ethernet to switch (I forget which brand) to Linksys router
    Wireless connection: AEBS with 802.11n to switch to Linksys router

I've tried both, and both are affected. I even tested it from Windows on my MBP inside Parallels - it too is affected by this issue.

5. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

most macs after 10.4.10 update have airport problems. I had airport problems too (my internet used to hang many times) so i used a fix i found somewhere which was actually replacing the system preferences files with the old ones (10.4.9) and now it works like a charm. Just to be sure, plug your computer to the ethernet, and if you dont get this problem, then its the wide-spread airport problem

6. kieranajp macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem....

Things download fine for 20 seconds or so, then the download speed just drops steadily down, until I end up with days of download remaining. Pausing and restarting is a temporary fix, it seems, as 20 seconds later it happens again. If I'm downloading a file a few megs in size it takes forever to do, and I have to repeatedly pause and restart the download.

Specs:
    iMac 20" Aluminium 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo 1GB RAM
    Running OS X 10.5.2
    Safari 3.1 and Firefox 3 RC1 (same issue in both, have also tried Camino to no avail)

Torrents and P2P downloads work fine.... so I'm thinking the problem may be with port permissions?

--K