Downloads "complete" too early.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SkyBell, Jun 2, 2009.

1. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

For the past two days or so, whenever I try to download a file over about 30 MB, no matter what web browser I use, the download will start, and then stop at a random amount of MB's downloaded. I've had it stop anywhere between 3.2 and 33.6 MB. For a while, it seemed like each time I tried to download the same file, it would download less and less every time I tried it. But now it seems to be stopping in random places. This happens on both my iBook and eMac.

FWIW, It just occurred to me I did just enable file sharing on both of them recently, so I wouldn't have to use a flash drive all the time. It seems unlikely to me, but could this be the problem? Thanks in advance for the help.

2. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I would guess it's a bad file. Do you have problem with other files or just that one :confused: I also would think that when you DL (download) the same file again and it is faster that it is only getting new parts of the same file that you have already.

3. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

I don't download a lot of large files, but the three I did try all had the same problem.

4. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Well, apparently this is happening on my PC too. So I don't know what to make of this...since it started happening around the time I enabled file sharing on all my machines, I turned it off. But it still happens...

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Are the files all from the same site? That could be an issue. Also, is there some chance that your ISP is throttling your downloads - did you download a massive amount of stuff earlier?

6. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Two of them are RAR's from the same site, but the other one is a linux distro from a different site.. Same problem.

It could be my ISP, but I don't think I've been downloading any more then usual...I have a 35 GB cap and it's hard to hit that on as slow of a connection as I have.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Have you tried rebooting everything from the modem on down (modem, router(s), wireless station(s), computers, in that order)? Sometimes, something just gets wonky and a reboot of the whole setup fixes it. I've had something similar happen to me, and that approach resolved it. Not to say it'll fix your problem, but it's possible.

8. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Hmm. Well, between my PC and eMac it's a direct ethernet connection, so I just need to reboot those two. But I do have a wireless connection with my eMac and iBook, would I need to restart the router too? (I think I have my eMac acting as an access point, so I'm not sure if the router would be involved in the whole network.)

9. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Well I restarted my PC and eMac. I tried downloading the Linux distro, and it seems to be working. About halfway finished with it, way more then it got to last time. But the other two files have the same problem, so it must be the website. Still, it seems odd that the same thing would happen to the Linux distro one time, and then it worked...

EDIT: Of course now the two files are actually downloading correctly, at 5:30 in the morning. :rolleyes: My download speeds are much higher at this time of day, maybe that has something to do with it...