Downloads Files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Newmacer2, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Newmacer2 macrumors regular

When I receive a PDF file via e-mail or anything else, it automatically goes to my "Downloads" file and I have to click on it to open it. Trouble is, these files remain in my Downloads file until I delete them. I just noticed that I have a ton of these files along with some other important ones I don't want to delete. Is there a way to safely and quickly clean up this directory? I don't want to delete anything important. Also, is there a way to open a PDF without it going to my downloads directory?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Go through file by file and see what you want to keep. You can use Quick Look (space bar) and Comand + Delete to make things go quicker. Only you know what's important for you; software can't do it for you.

There are numerous browser plugins for this, but since you don't state what browser you're using that's all I can tell you.

3. Newmacer2 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I know that there isn't any software to help me make these decisions. I just thought there would be a simpler way to distinguish between routine downloads (that happen when you simply want to open a file and look at it) and files (such as new software downloads) that you certainly don't want to eliminate. I know there are warnings on some computers that say "Are you sure you want to delete this file, it's a program?" If I want to keep the download, I add it to my document folder or wherever I can find it later. I wasn't aware that it might be a browser issue, which is why I didn't add this info to my post.

I have to say that I look forward to the day that I ask a question on this forum and I don't get an answer from someone who has nothing better to do but show his superiority by putting down a poster and making him appear to be a moron. Not all of us are as smart as you, but we don't need reminders. We are just trying to learn and we are just trying to use this forum to get there. If you think some of us are stupid and not worth the trouble, I suggest you just forget about answering.

4. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I don't think he was trying to put you down, I really think he was just letting you know that we need more information to help you further.

As for the sorting of your downloads folder, you can open it up in Finder and then go to the column of Type, and click on the column header. This will group the files by Type for you. So all PDFs will be together, all .dmg (usually and application image file) will be together and so on.

It still doesn't alleviate having to preview each PDF, but it will at least separate them out from the other filetypes and possibly help you avoid deleting something by accident.

Also, when you empty your trash, if the system doesn't ask if you are sure, then you can turn this on by making sure Finder is the active application, then going into Preferences under the Finder menu header. There are several other toggle based options for Finder in there as well that I've found quite helpful to me.

Hope this helps, and seriously, I really don't think he was trying to put you down at all.

Best,

Brian

5. Newmacer2 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

Thanks Brian. This helps a lot. Some people (like you) know how to help newbies without sounding superior. I think the message below miles01110's profile photo says it all and should have helped me deal with his response. I'll let that drop for now. Thanks for trying to smooth the waters. I really appreciate your taking the time to help out.

6. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

7. miles01110, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010

miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I was not putting anyone down. The only one who can "make" you feel like a moron is you. If you'd like to provide more specifics such as which browser you typically download these documents from I could probably recommend plugins that would help you out.

I actually haven't seen this, aside from Windows' warning that moving an alias is not the same as moving the program to the Recycle Bin. Then again I don't remove programs from Windows that often.

Again, I didn't call anyone stupid. The old timers on this board should know that if I think someone is stupid I will not hesitate to say so. Any feeling of stupidity from my posts in response to your question is your own misunderstanding. In general I feel I do a very good job answering people's questions based on the (often insufficient) information they provide.