Downloads Folder Deleted by Accident

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iViking, Jun 10, 2008.

1. iViking macrumors 6502

I accidentally deleted my downloads folder from the dock.

How can I put it back?

Thanks!

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

If you only deleted it from the dock, go to your Home folder and drag it back on the dock from there.

3. iViking thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

4. digiphantom macrumors regular

I have the same problem and moved my Downloads folder from the home back onto the dock. The result is that the download folders now just looks like a default folder on the dock.

I noticed that it's changing its look based on the contents in the folder. If I remove all the files, the icon is the default download icon. If there are just zip files from my downloads, then I see files on my dock. If there is a folder within the downloads folder, the downloads folder will change to a folder with folders within.

But how can I get the default Downloads icon folder back onto the dock?

I hope I didn't make this confusing.

EDIT: nvm, I just needed to check the properties for the folder on the dock to see it as a folder and not a stack.

5. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Right click on the folder in the dock and choose Display as Folder.

6. simpl3girl macrumors newbie

simpl3girl

I did the same thing

I did the same thing, and figured out how to get it back, but now it's not acting as it did before. I put it back on my dock and everything, it's still a "folder" type, but it's not acting as the download folder it used to. When I download something, it doesn't go there anymore. How do I rectify that? Do I have to get help from someone at the store or something? This makes it extremely difficult and annoying when I download something from my professors but can't find it. :(

7. MajandraFan macrumors newbie

You need to tell your programs where to download files.
    In Safari or Firefox, go to Preferences, General tab, near the bottom of the tab set the downloads location to your downloads folder.