Downloads Folder Doesn't Work

Discussion in 'macOS' started by e-lifemall, Dec 5, 2008.

1. e-lifemall macrumors newbie

I just did a fresh install of Mac OS X 10.4.11. I just took over this job and I noticed that when my friend was using it he could control+click and "save to downloads". When the download completed it made the folder jump. After I did a fresh install, this doesn't happen and i didn't even have a downloads folder there. I drug it there from mac hd/users/deric/downloads and it looks like an ordinary folder, it doesn't jump and when i control click on it, there's no option to fan. the only options that i have are to open, open at login, and remove from dock. of course when i control+click it displays the contents. How do I make it like my friend had it? Is this in an update or something? Thanks in advance for the help..

Deric C.

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I would bet your friend is running Leopard (10.5) rather than your Tiger (10.4.11) as the OS. What you have described is behavior that is exhibited by Leopard's "Stacks" in the dock.

3. e-lifemall thread starter macrumors newbie

in your opinion should i upgrade? not just for that reason but for any reason? are there enough helpful functions to justifying an upgrade? the most processor/memory intensive work i do is video editing, and at times that can be very heavy. I use final cut pro, the studio version 2. once again, thanks!

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

To be honest, a lot of that will depend on what type of Mac you are using so if you provide that info (model and the amount of memory you have most importantly) we could offer reasoned recommendations, as Leopard does not make sense on all Macs for sure. So let's start there! ;)

5. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

It depends on who you are of course. Read up about what it offers and decide for yourself.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

Personally, I can attest that quicklook is an ENORMOUS productivity enhancer, and I definitely miss it when I use a computer that doesn't have leopard. To me, quicklook is nearly worth the $129 price of leopard all by itself. Also, time machine is super useful. Just connect an external drive, and you can choose to make it an automatic backup drive with literally the click of a single button. It'll automatically make backups as frequently as you choose, and it'll let you view folder contents back in time and restore any individual files you need that you found in your backup. I never use Spaces, but some people live for that feature.