Downloads folder question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sequin, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Sequin macrumors regular

I have googled this question and looked here, etc, but maybe I'm not searching the right thing. How do I stop my computer from storing any item I download in the downloads folder?

I'm not talking about the preferences in firefox, etc where you can change it to save where you want. I mean when I even go to open a PDF file of a lecture for school without physically choosing to save it on my computer, it will still store it in the downloads folder. I want it to stop doing that or at least choose a temporary folder for it to save them in instead.

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

For PDF's you can Ctrl+Click and click "Open Link in new Window" or "Open Link in New Tab" on the context menu.

3. Sequin thread starter macrumors regular

That's handy, but it doesn't solve my problem. :/

4. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Mac doesn't really do "Open with". On Mac when you download a file, with Safari at least, it always opens it unless you adjust the settings not to, e.g. download a pkg file it automatically launches the installer. The only thing is Mac puts the file in a place that makes it easy to find and dispose of.

On windows every file is downloaded, even if you just choose "Open". However, when you choose open it places the download somewhere else so you don't see the file. Sometimes it is in a temp folder, but not always, and they can linger for a long time.

5. Sequin thread starter macrumors regular

I just want to know if there is a way to choose a different place for it to place those files. I guess I could also make a different Downloads folder for things I actually save and just avoid this issue all together though, but that's no fun D:

6. nicksmolenski macrumors regular

nicksmolenski

Well you can remove downloaded files automatically when you quit the browser.

The option is in preferences. That way the files go right to your trash.

7. Sequin thread starter macrumors regular

8. ConnorCG macrumors member

Seems like you are avoiding every answer you are given.

9. Sequin thread starter macrumors regular

No. None of these answers were solutions. My downloads folder is still flooded with nonsense.

10. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

I think this is the answer. Yes, i know you came up with it, but from the sounds of it, you just don't want to flood your downloads folder...with what exactly?

11. Sequin, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011

Sequin thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that works, but I'm stubborn and really want to see if I can avoid that. :/ There's got to be a way to set something, right? Or at least set something so they delete themselves at some point because they shouldn't have been saved to begin with. I don't want them wasting space on my computer. I shouldn't have to manually clear all that.

This is what is happening if I didn't make it clear. I go to a course website. I click on a file to open (pdf, doc, ppt, whatever), and choose 'open with' instead of save file. I DO NOT plan on saving it! The file opens, I look at it for a bit, then close. There should be no saving involve, however, when I later go to my Downloads folder that file will be saved there.

12. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Using Safari?
    Safari > Preferences > General
    Save downloaded files to...

Oops, OP: Firefox & not looking for the above.
    Oh well, I'll leave it for someone else.

13. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Anytime you view a file (html, pdf, doc, xls, docx, xlsx, video, music, etc, etc, etc), it is downloaded (at least temporarily) to your computer's hard drive. This is the same in Windows, Linux, and OS X. Where it is saved at is the only difference.

I would absolutely suggest creating a Downloads folder in Documents and setting Safari, Firefox, Chrome, or any other browser to save the files you intend to keep there. Then all you have to do to rid yourself of the temp files is open the Downloads folder in your Home directory, do command+a, then drag to trash and empty.

Best, wish there was another solution for you...but this is just how the systems work. Not sure if you can redefine the download location of files that you choose to open only...