Downloads Folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by noone, Nov 25, 2007.

1. noone macrumors regular

noone

I cannot keep my Downloads folder/stack in the dock. I can drag it back down, but it disappears after a few seconds. I only noticed this after installing 10.5.1. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Are you dragging it to the right side of the "crossroad"? You can only keep application shortcuts to the left. Stacks and web shortcuts have to be on the right. Same was true in Tiger for directories.

Does that help?

3. noone thread starter macrumors regular

noone

Yes, I drag it to the right. It will stay for about 7 seconds before disappearing.

4. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

7 seconds? That's a bizarrely long time for it to stay before not working. I assume you've tried repairing disk permissions and restarting (or at least a killall Dock)?

5. noone thread starter macrumors regular

noone

6. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Does this happen with all stacks or just the Downloads one?
    -Chasen

7. noone thread starter macrumors regular

noone

Only the downloads. All other stacks work just fine.

8. benpatient macrumors 68000

when you actually open up your "downloads" folder into a Finder window, does it open up properly in all of the "view" modes (quick view, list, column and icon)?

It might be trying to render a pdf or another file that it is having a hard time with, and thus is closing the "window" that is actually the live preview icon. I had a PDF manual that was fine in 10.4 and opens up in preview and acrobat that would crash my finder windows when i tried to open the enclosing folder. i didn't try it, but it would probably also have killed a stack...since the stacks show live icon previews. I can't test this because I reverted to Tiger until (if?) Apple fixes all of Leopards bigger failures. I got tired of slogging around with an awkward and ineffective "feature" (stacks) and spaces just wasn't good enough to justify keeping Leo around. can't use time machine because my main external drive needs to be PC and Mac accessible, and several of my most desired features were scrapped again (resolution independence?!?)

Anyway, I'm rambling. Try my suggestion. It could be that the delay in crashing is a result of the OS trying to render a file for quick view icons that it can't digest for some reason.

9. noone thread starter macrumors regular

noone

Unfortunately, that didn't work either. I removed everything from the folder and it still won't stay put! Everything that was there worked fine in all views as well as quick look.)

10. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

11. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Perhaps you can delete the Downloads folder in Finder. Also consider dowloading Drawer Icons as this may have something to do with date modified. Have you recently dowloaded files? Do they activate the folder on your dock to show completion and then it dissappears?

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Try opening up Terminal, and type "sudo rm ~/Downloads/" and hit enter. Enter your password when prompted, and your Downloads folder will be gone. Recreate it and see if you can add it then.

jW

13. noone thread starter macrumors regular

noone

Don't know what I did if anything, but it is staying put for now. I am not going to mess around with it and hope it stays! Thanks for you advice everyone!