Downloads folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DarkRevenant, Feb 4, 2010.

1. DarkRevenant macrumors member

Is it safe to clear my downloads folder? Basically, it has become very large (~20gb). I want to create some more space because my hard drive is partitioned. Basically, what I'm wondering is, if, for example someone sends me a song. I play the song through itunes. Doesn't the song then get copied into an iTunes folder? Assuming it does, does that mean there is a duplicate file in the downloads folder as in the iTunes folder? Otherwise, do I have to manually go through my downloads folder and decide whats needed and whats not? Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If the following is checked in iTunes Preferences, you can safely delete the song in your Downloads folder.
    [​IMG]

But I recommend going through your Downloads folder manually and select/check what you can delete.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You can probably remove the stuff in your downloads folder... probably.

For songs if you right click on it in iTunes and do "Get Info" it will list where the song is on the "Summary" tab at the bottom. If it's not referring to your downloads folder then you're probably okay. Also if you check in iTunes preferences you can see if you have "Kepp iTunes Media folder organized" checked. If you do that means it copies it elsewhere.

As for other data, who knows...

The safest thing to do would be to copy all that data to a source you can disconnect from your computer, such as an external hard drive. Then try to use the data in the location you think it's in. If it still works, you're golden and if not, you have a backup.

4. tallguy macrumors regular

Take the plunge. I did and everything doesn't just seem to be in order, there's so much order here now that it actually sped up my computer. It was like splashing a bucket of magical order water on my computer. That's how much order there is now.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

6. tallguy macrumors regular

I think you'll find everything is in order now.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

It would be easy enough to find out. Try it. (Save one somewhere else just in case before you do.)

Or, you could trust the answers you get here...

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

What are you guys debating here? Of course you can delete stuff in the Downloads folder. I too would not recommend deleting the Downloads folder. Just delete the contents. Easy. Have iTunes move the music or whatever as spinnerlys suggested and you're done.

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

They aren't all music files and it sounds like he's using his Downloads folder as his Documents folder.

10. DarkRevenant thread starter macrumors member

Hey guys - thanks for all the prompt detailed replies. My iTunes was copying songs into the music folder so I went ahead and cleared the contents. I was never trying to delete the folder, but every time I received a file from someone or e-mail it would automatically go there and it has been doing that for almost 2 years now so it was sucking up a lot of space. Thanks again!

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys