Downloads help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dj.k86, Aug 20, 2009.

1. dj.k86 macrumors newbie

Hey,
    i have alot of downloads in my downloads folder. this makes it hard to find stuff when i just downloaded it. is there any way i can clear out the downloads folder with out erasing everything that is in it?

2. KC2 macrumors regular

This is confusing...what exactly are you asking for here? The Downloads folder is an actual folder, so the only way to clean it up without deleting files would be to move them to a different folder.

One way you can see the most recent download is just to sort your columns by "Date Modified." Does this answer your question, or am I completely missing what you're asking?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sure, its easy, just create some folders in your document area, or your home folder. Name them something that makes sense then open up two finder windows.

Start dragging and dropping.

Unless you execute applications within the downloads folder, you'll not run into any problems. Its just the default location where safari puts downloaded files. From there you typically drag them over to applications or install them as needed. Other non application type files downloaded can be moved to a folder to your liking as well.

I typically keep a clean downloads folder so its easy dealing with it, I off load those items to different folders depending on the type and what I plan on doing.

4. strnge macrumors newbie

How do i move files from my download folder to another file or to my external hard drive?

Mike

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

To another folder . . .

Open the Downloads Folder, then open the other folder. Highlight (single-click) the file, then drag (click and hold) the file over to the other folder window. Release the mouse button. Done. This is called "drag and drop".